March 9, 2006

Attention UNO hockey fans


"I don't know what you're talking about?"

"What argument?"

"This is a non-issue"

To those readers of my blog who honestly don't know what I'm talking about, I apologize for the confusion. Please continue to read on if you like, if not...I'll see you during the next post.

It seems that the unflappable, 9 year run of UNO hockey having some of the best fans in college hockey is over. Earlier this year, because of egos, jealousy, bordom or just plain greed....many of these great fans turned on each other. I don't know how it happened. I don't know specifficly why it happened. All I know is that it's still going on. "What are you talking about?" you say. "I can assure you there is no problem".

I can assure you a few things. First of all, you're all very good fans. VERY FEW people in this world (outside of Euro soccer freaks) would throw themselves into their team as you people have. I appluad you for that. I enjoy being a part of it. I really do. Secondly, many of you people take this team, message boards, me, other people WAY WAY WAY too fucking seriously. I UNDERSTAND you like to make banners. I understand you like to take road trips and have to deal with some people acting like dicks on the bus for 15 hours straight. I understand certain people are annoying. I understand you may think you're an original, and feel the need to bash everybody else. I understand you are great fans. TRUST ME. I get it.

What I DO NOT understand is why you have to fuck it up for everybody else. Why does everybody have to be in a gang SO BAD, that you can't just float around in the middle, as some of us do. Don't get me wrong, there are quite a few people with me on this one. But when I bring it up, and I get 1/2 the people saying, "Hell yeah..I agree with you." And the other half saying, "There is no problem. This should be deleted"...then trust me...there's a fucking problem.

I don't know what you all are going to do about fixing it. I don't know if it can be fixed. I don't know how it all came about. I don't know if it's going to royally fuck up the game expierence at the Joe or at Nationals. All I know is that it's WAY WAY WAY less fun dealing with a lot of you right now. It's not my business who you like or who you don't. Just take down this note that what little creditiblity many of you had in making it fun to be a UNO fan...is being flushed down the shitter because you're acting like a bunch of fucking junior high school kids. Denying it makes it worse.

Sorry to throw it out there like that, but it's true. And TRUST ME when I say...I'm not the only one who feels that way. Look, I like you guys. I like posting with you guys. I like stopping by and saying hello at games with you guys. But if it comes down to choosing sides and going one way or the other...I'll choose option C. None of the above.

Happy playoffs everybody.

8 Comments:

Blogger Husker Mike said...

Applause!
There will be plenty of time to play "high school cliques" in May. Right now, our team is on the verge of it's greatest season ever. This week, we've got the Wildcats. Next weekend is the Joe. And the weekend after that is someplace we haven't been before...the tournament.

I'm tired of reading "no problem, we all are still friends"... yet there are still people banned. Maybe this will all get worked out down the line, maybe not. But now is not the time for divisions.

My dream is to be screaming, hugging, and high-fiving all of these guys/gals in Grand Forks or maybe Green Bay on March 25th after the Mavs shock the Gophers or the Badgers. My fear is that the biggest impediment to this is not getting a couple of victories in the NCAA tournament...

I'm not going to name any names; they all know who they are.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

I agree this is not a time for division, and by and large there is not. I say "by and large" because there are a few interpersonal conflicts still lingering out there, but I think most of the parties to those get that the rest of Mavdom is sick of hearing about it.

I find your post confusing on this point, though. You think there is a problem, and you don't like everyone having to deal with the problem but when people deny it (i.e. keep it to themselves), you don't like that, either. I think this is a no-win for whoever it is you are tabbing with your post.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Husker Mike said...

Problem is, it rarely gets "kept to themselves". It quiets down for a while, and then something happens and it's back out..

10:31 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Rick,

I'm upset about the denial, because it's the very people that are involved that are saying, "I' don't have a problem." Meanwhile, in other arenas (e-mails, messgae boards, IM's) they continue to bitch, badmouth and complain. If it were truly "over", you'd see everybody being chummy and focusing on the playoffs. This is not happening.

Again, people can do what they want. But it's not fun being a fan of this team now, because as soon as you talk to one group of people, you get bashed by the other.

I'm pretty sure I'll survive, but it's unfortunate that people you hung out with and had a lot of fun with for many years have to be like that.

That's all I'm saying.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Randy David said...

Seriously, I had no idea. One of the few things that makes me glad I'm not there more often. I hope it all gets worked out soon or maybe I'll have to join AJ's clique.... wait a second... that doesn't make sense. Oh well, GO MAVS!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Randy David said...

Seriously, I had no idea. One of the few things that makes me glad I'm not there more often. I hope it all gets worked out soon or maybe I'll have to join AJ's clique.... wait a second... that doesn't make sense. Oh well, GO MAVS!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Randy David said...

Seriously, I had no idea. One of the few things that makes me glad I'm not there more often. I hope it all gets worked out soon or maybe I'll have to join AJ's clique.... wait a second... that doesn't make sense. Oh well, GO MAVS!

9:52 PM  
Blogger A J said...

I have no clique man. That's what makes me cool. :)

PS - I like how it's "no big deal", but immediately after the loss last night, each message board is bitching about the others.

Fucking junior high antics make me not even care anymore. It's a shame too, but I guess all good things come to an end.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares