July 15, 2005

What the hell is it with little league parents? (click for link)

Can somebody tell me what in the FUCK is up with people who take their kids' sports careers so seriously? I mean, everybody who has ever played a single organized sport...from the NFL down to CYA or YMCA soccer has known somebody who had a parent who got a LITTLE too much into the game. I am no different, and I'm sure you aren't either...I knew DOZENS of parents whom I thought were just overzealous at the time...now I'm quite sure they're fucking crazy.

Case in point...in 1996, I was coaching high school baseball, when my very talented pitcher started yelling at his young catcher to "stop being a puss and catch the ball." in front of everybody. Obviously, this CAN NOT be tolerated, no matter how tough of a time the catcher was having. So being a good coach, I ran out to the mound, and gave my pitcher a verbal assault in front of god and everybody. I didn't pull him..but I told him if he EVER yelled at a teammate on the field like that..or anywhere...he'd sit for a month. When I got back into the dugout, the kid's father was being restrained from coming at me by two other parents. Swearing he was going to kill me in the parking lot, he grabbed his son after the inning and didn't show up again for two weeks. (the kid was 16 mind you at the time.)

The moral of the story is...people take thier son's and daughter's sports career WAY too seriously. Why? Because they have nothing of their own to look back fondly on. I mean think about it...do you think Nolan Ryan screams at his grandkids' coach after a game for not giving them a chance to play? Hell no you don't. Why? Because Nolan fucking Ryan DID something with his sports career. Whenever you see a story of a hockey dad who punched out a ref, or an 8-year old t-ball coach who ordered his kid to drill another kid with a ball...you'll see behind it a person who wasn't good enough to do anything on their own.

Hey jackass....if you would have gone to practice when you were 17, instead of listening to Pink Floyd and smoking bowls with your buddies...you wouldn't be on a little league field, screaming down a 16 year-old umpire for missing a call in a t-ball game. Grow some fucking sack, and admit to yourself that YOU failed as an athlete, and YOU are the one who has to live with it...not your kid.

Hell yeah, I'm going to support my kids if they want to play sports. But I'm sure as hell not going to push them like it is the end of the world, nor am I going to threaten to kill an opposing coach for looking at my kid funny. It's a FUCKING GAME played by kids...and instead of making an ass out of myself, I'm going to let my kids battle on their own. I had my time...I had a blast and I have something to show for it. I certainly don't need to take out my frustrations on the expierences that affect little kids.

Two words: Todd Marinovich.

I hope this fucking guy gets thrown into jail, and gets raped by a double murderer named 'big Lester' on the first trip to the prison yard. Take responsibility for your own failures you fucking idiot. Let your kids fend for themselves.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

I believe I voiced my concerns over this a couple of weeks ago-- but just for good measure...

I never played the politics or paid the money associated with travel/club teams. I laugh at the kids (and parents) when the parents go out, kiss ass, and spend $2000 a year for their kid to play on some elite team. The only travel team I EVER played for was a Midget B team my senior year of HS, and I was selected for that team from the house league I was playing in. And I've played at a much higher level than any of these morons kids ever will.

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a T-Ball game for Pete's sake. When 96jr. played T-Ball they didn't even keep score. The kids basically just ran around the bases until it was time for a snack.

11:34 AM  
Blogger mattp_68135 said...

I was disgusted when I read that t-ball coach did that. I guess some bullies never grow up.

12:14 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Absolutely horrible. And they all have the same thing in common...they all failed miserably in their own careers.

Case in point..name ONE time in the history of the world that a pro athlete has gotten into it at a little league game? Bzzzzzzzzzz. You can't. It's never happened.

These idiots are so depressed about their own crappy lives, they have to take it out on their kids. Enjoy your place in hell, jackasses.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

AJ, hate to bring you down... but didn't Clemens get into trouble at a high-school game last year?

12:44 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

"...you'll see behind it a person who wasn't good enough to do anything on their own." TOTALLY agree. Good post. (Sports Kids' Moms and Dads on Bravo--psycho!)

8:55 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

OK... you ready for this?

I have spent the last 7 years of my life fighting through a disability-- and you never saw anybody tell me I couldn't play. And it's something that if you told a coach his goalie had, he'd probably shit himself. And I was just recently diagnosed with another condition that when I found out the details of, I can honestly say I had symptoms of 3 years ago-- which means, yes I played juniors and played (cough) college hockey with this condition.

I had a teammate in juniors who played through Touretts Syndrome.

And just to solidify my point-- do you think anybody at Bowling Green was told to bean Jordan Sigalet because he has a disability?

12:52 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

a big ego isn't a disability Chris....

;-)

4:25 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

no-- for a goaltender it's required equipment.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares