June 1, 2005

A Baseball rant for the Ages: Royals Baseball...I'm done

I'm going to throw this out there right now....My name is AJ, and I'm a former Kansas City Royals fan. I was diagnosed with this disease back in 1974 when my grandfather got season tickets and took me to my first game. My condition worsened throughout the 1970's as a slick expansion team in powder blue uniforms beat the snot out of everything in their path. I cried like a baby when Chris Chamblis beat the R's in 1976. To this day, I remember the pure joy of watching George Brett take that douschebag Goose Gossage into the upper deck, and the pure rage of watching Willie Wilson swing like a girl against Tug McGraw in 1980...giving the Phillies their World Series title. I remember standing under the Western Auto building in downtown Kansas City in 1985, watching over a million fans in blue celebrate the city's first (and only) Championship of my lifetime.

As a little kid growing up in K.C., these were my heroes. These were the players I wanted to be. This was the team I loved. However, today...over thirty years later, I am saying goodbye to the team that helped me get through many a sleepless nights as a kid, listening to a west-coast roadtrip on my BeeGee's AM radio.

Today, I am no longer a Kansas City Royals fan.

This league, this owner and this team have destroyed every last little bit of support I could muster from the tips of my fingers. With the signing (for TWO YEARS) of Buddy Bell as manager, the organization has told me...a lifelong fan...that they no longer care either. I have held on for many a years...but today...I have come to the realization that it is no longer worth it. It is no longer worth my time to watch/listen or follow a team who has a shot of winning a game only 1 out of every 5 games. Worse yet...the future is as black Sean Penn's soul.

Don't you dare call me a quitter either. I have tried to remain with this team. I have put up with BRILLIANT moves like David Cone for Ed Hearn, Bret Saberhagen for Greg Jefferies/ Kevin McReynolds, Brian McRae for Derrick Wallace. (Who?) I have watched the team come close TWO different times....only to choke in the end. (2003 and 1994). I have put up with watching teams like Arizona, Toronto and Anaheim build dynasties and tear them down.

I have put up with 19 years of horrible, uninspired, unprepared, undisciplined and downright horseshit baseball. But no more. They have lost me. I used to think that a full-time owner and a spunky new GM would fix things..but again, that dream has come and went. With baseball's economics today, you have to be smart and crafty to build a winner out of a small market. With David Glass and Allard Baird running the show...these guys could take the American League all-star team and trade them in for Mackey Sasser and John Rocker. They are buffoons. They are incompetent and they are not worthy of my fan support. I mean, is it that hard to at least COMPETE?!?! Holy Shit Allard, look at some of the things you have done. Wouldn't it be easier just to quit and let players just come to K.C. if they want to? Are you TRYING to destroy this team? The sad thing is..I'm not the only one who feels this way. Check out any fan website (if there are any left) and you will see just what I am saying here. In two years a new manager will take over..and some other sucker will put up with pain I have given up. IS IT THAT FUCKING HARD TO FINISH 1ST IN A FIVE TEAM DIVSION JUST ONCE IN 20 YEARS!?!?! Hell, with the wildcard, you don't even have to do that. IS THIS TOO MUCH TO FUCKING ASK!?!?!

Without hope, I can honestly say I gave this my best shot..and certainly 19 years is long enough in anybody's book. But today, I am ridding myself of such a burden. No longer will I be depressed when mid-May (or mid-April like this year) rolls around. No longer will I hope that Jeff Granger, Jim Pittsley or Juan LeBron pan out. No longer will I race home to catch the end of a game, and at 7:45pm, find out the visiting team is still batting and are up 8-0 in the top of the first. Fuck you Mr. Baird. Fuck you Mr. Glass. Fuck you Major League Baseball. I'm done. I've had it. Fuck this team.

The end.

4 Comments:

Blogger A J said...

It's quite obvious ME being a fan is the reason this team was losing.

Ever since I turned in my fan-keys...they are 2-0.

I guess I have more of an effect on them than I thought. Oh well, they still suck.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I said a similar thing yesterday, only using less vulgarity...but yeah....

2:32 PM  
Blogger A J said...

So the Royals are now THREE and 0 since I denounced them.

Anybody want me to blast their own team so they can get a boost of adrenaline?

PS - The Yankees REALLY must suck right now. Seriously.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there. Smilin' Carl Pohlad finished last eight years in a row with the lowest payroll in baseball. He actually made money because of the welfare payments teams like the Yanks and Sox and Braves make to subsidize the small market teams. The only reason the Twins are good now is that they have people in the organization that know talent. But eventually, it will all move on because they won't pay to keep them.

But enjoy another 100 plus loss season.

mcgwillie

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares