June 6, 2005

I've been a huge Husker baseball fan since......

Was there a baseball game or two played around here over the past couple of days? I wasn't sure if there was, because the news, the radio and pretty much every single breathing person within 200 yards of me at all times apparently think there was one. Kudos to me for not watching a single pitch, and kudos to me not really caring up to this point.

However I see this topic kinda like I see a stray dog in my neighborhood. That dog isn't bothering me, and I really don't care one way or another about it...but when he comes up and pisses on my bushes...then I have to take action.

Look, I'm all for baseball. It's a great game that is completely misunderstood by the masses. It is a game of strategy, coordination and skill that should not be taken lightly by those who choose to watch it. However, when 99% of the people watching a particular game couldn't tell me the difference between a fungo and a fungus...I have problems. When 99% of the crowd would tell me that a wheel play is a Nascar passing maneuver...I have problems. When people show up in football jerseys and pretend that their life revolves around a certain team...I have fucking problems.

IF this team means so much to you people..then why in the FUCK did less than 300 people show up for the big Nebraska vs. Creighton baseball showdown at Rosenblatt in 1997? How bout 1998? How come during the 1990's and beyond, Buck Beltzer stadium looked like a Peru State College intersquad scrimmage was taking place?

When it comes down to it..this is not about baseball. This is not about the complete circus that the CWS has become, and it's not because they now have one of the best players in the college game. (Darren Erstadt was the best player in the nation in 1995, and nobody gave a shit enough to come watch him play.) No, this is about ego. This torrid newly developed love affair with this state and "it's" baseball team is strictly the result of one thing and one thing only...The football team going down the shitter. Yes, had Tom Osborne stuck around, and the football team won another (CoughundeservedCough) split national title...you would never have Lamemarket Park or the 8,000 delusional buffoons who fill it.

What this comes down to is a fan base who is so out of touch with reality....so starving for attention that they must do ANYTHING they can to prove to the world that they are winners. Trust me, if it wasn't the baseball team....you'd see 8,000 people at women's soccer games...and don't laugh because they were on their way to doing just that when Dave Van Horn showed up. This is once again another lame attempt to show the sporting public that yes...Husker fan is better than you. (Even though 4,000 per game show up to watch a HORRIBLE basketball team). Remember a few years ago when people were really into Husker wrestling? They were pretty good back then. How come you never hear about them anymore?

Because they went on probation and they suck ass now. Just as people erased their memories of Shevin Wiggins raping a 14 year old in a trailer (allegedly), people tend to forget that they actually do have a wrestling team. And sadly...should this baseball team go south for a few years..they will also suffer the same fate as wrestling and basketball has suffered.

So while you're on TV next weekend Husker fan...screaming and yelling about how outstanding fans you have...while you're screaming down Miami players, BEGGING them to realize what great fans you have....don't forget about the other sports that you have abandoned and pushed aside like yesterday's garbage. You are no better than anybody else..and just because you are winning at something, doesn't make you any better of a fan than anybody else. It just means you are starved for attention more than anybody this side of Paris Hilton..and that's pretty fucking sad.

I hope you get your fucking brains beat in this weekend, so this whole cherade, this whole "dig us, we're Nebraska" bullshit will disappear from my TV for another year. Or, unless the golf team wins a title, and you all show up next year with "National Championship" visors on, waving at any camera lens that you can find.

If the Hicksters do fuck the system yet again to find their way to the freakshow known as the College World Series..that won't be so bad either....and you'll find out why in my next rant.

Lord, please make all this go away. It's getting more and more painfull to watch the people of this state embarass themselves more and more with each passing game.

12 Comments:

Blogger something_something said...

That, my friend, may be your best rant to date.

11:59 AM  
Blogger A J said...

Danka

1:04 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Touche..and to each their own. However, the Husker stigma radiates throughout an entire state, through many sports...not just baseball...as was/is the case with Creighton. (Basketball included.)

I'm saving my CWS material for later on this week...so I won't get into it...but trust me, I have a strong opinion on the matter to say the least. hehe

I'm all for women's softball as well..but only if Cat Oesterman is pitching. Meeeoowwww.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Glad to see I wasn't the only person who noticed the morons wearing football jerseys to the baseball game. Are you so poor that you can't afford to support the baseball team finacially? It just proves AJ's point even more.

I don't care who wins this weekend. I'm cheering for a tornado to wipe out MECCA, er.. I mean Memorial Stadium and Haymarket Park-- it should do wonders for the genepool around here.

And just remember, for the Huskers, this is about alleged pride-- proving they are better than Miami-FL.

Hurricanes versus Cornfuckers: Miami has a better baseball team, AND a better football team (see, it is possible to be strong in more than one sport), they have longer criminal records, they have better looking cheerleaders, and can probably drink you all under the table-- there is no contest here.

The Cornholios are going to rue the day when there biggest rival is Miami-Ohio. Believe me, the day is coming.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I've heard it all. Jim Rome...err..Rose - blithering idiot that he is, screaming at me this morning on the radio as I'm shaving saying how "this is going to be payback for the 1984 NU/Miami Orange Bowl." "Let's see how well THEY like it when WE turn off the air conditioners in THEIR locker room." "How about if we give them 1% of the ticket allotment like they gave US in Miami."

What a load of crap.

Go Canes.

7:27 PM  
Blogger A J said...

The Univerisity of Nebraska is amazing for one thing....the ability to ge a bigger douschebag radio commentator each and every time the previous one leaves. Seriously, I tried to listen once..and as soon as he called the batter's "Bonnett" a "bright shade of Scarlett, the kind that sends your heart a fluttering"...I was done.

What a unprofessional pile of shit that little weasel is. You can root for the home team without coming off like a complete and total jackass. What these dumbfucks don't understand is that even though we are few and far between...not everybody is willing to swap spit and touch tounges with all things Husker.

Just another reason I hope the Canes put the holy bejesus whooping on these assclowns.

8:20 PM  
Blogger something_something said...

Matt, please tell me you're fucking kidding. Say it's not so.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, not kidding. Almost slit my throat shaving this morning. Those are not exact quotes from Jim Rose, but damn close. That's all he was talking about at 6:15 this morning - payback for the '84 Orange Bowl. Unbelievable.

9:27 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Uhhh....Didn't the Huskers pay back the Canes in 1994 when they won in the Orange Bowl? (Beating Warren Sapp et al) Wasn't that enough?

No matter, because the Canes paid them back for 94 in 2002 when they bitchslapped them silly in Pasadena.

What a complete and total dousche that guy is.

10:00 PM  
Blogger A J said...

There is no spell-check on the comment section. That will be in blog version 1.1.

Hehe.

PS - There are only so many ways to describe a guy who looks like Rick Astley and talks as if he's a combination of George Plimpton and Warren Sapp. He's one of the few guys who make Pavelka sound bareable.

I remember after the Colorado prison raping (62-34 game) when on the post game show he had to go to commercial because he was "so mad at the National Media for making such a big deal of the loss"

Unbelievable

8:17 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

a Rick Astley reference-- someone's been reading my blog.

...and don't get me started on the broadcasters around here-- Schuetz, Webber, Justice, Sigmund, Chapman, Jernstrom, Klaus, Steckis-- they are all idiots. None have a fucking clue.

And then, there are the play-by-play teams. It's college sports, you mental patients! Let college kids cut their teeth calling games. Where else are the Joe Bucks, Pat Foleys, Lloyd Pettits, and Bob Ueckers of the world going to come from.

Take a look at the list of broadcasters from Syracuse University. SU is the most common place for national broadcasters to come from, including Costas and Albert, and several others (help me out if you know a few more). And why are they good? They got a chance in college.

5:47 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Joel..that was fucking awsome.

I nearly fell out of my Courtyard by Marriott issued leather easychair.

Thanks...

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares