June 29, 2005

Somebody explain the White Stripes to me please?


I know I spout off about a lot of stuff, but this is really bugging me. Much like NasCar, Poker and a whole lot of shit I don't get...can SOMEBODY tell me what the big fucking deal is about these two?

Is it THAT ingenius to play a really raspy guitar behind a really bland drum line? Don't you think mixing in a bass-line now and then? A tamborine? A saxaphone? SOMETHING?

This whole "return to retro" bullshit that is going on in music is the lamest thing since Brian Setzer came back for about two weeks and tried to make swing music cool. I've listened to several white stripes songs on iTunes, and I've REALLY REALLY tried to figure them out and enjoy them...but I just can't.

I like to think I have a very good feel for music, and enjoy ALL different types of styles. But for the LOVE OF GOD, could there possibly be a more overhyped group in the history of music? I mean, if you call the Backstreet Boys the greatest band in 30 years..at least I can blow it off as nothing but bubblgum propaganda. But when you start crossing over into popular adult alternative..and shit that really MATTERS...then I have a problem.

Music is like opinions..and nobody is right or wrong in who they support. But can somebody...ANYBODY tell me why on earth ANYBODY in their right mind would crown these two the "greatest rock band on earth" when they've only had like 2 hit songs and have been around popular airplay for about 2 years?

I'm sorry...I just don't get it. Can somebody explain?

AJ

PS - Explain Nascar, reality shows and poker to me too while you're at it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

More cowbell, please.

1:04 PM  
Blogger something_something said...

I like Meg White, but I really don't see why everyone slags her off so much when her brother's such a fucking freak.

As for NASCAR, reality shows and televisied poker, yeah they're all ghey.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

The explanation of Napcar: just turn left.

Honestly, Napcar is as fixed as the WWE-- nothing but a soap opera for men. Too much bitching, too much whining, too much fighting.

There is only one good thing about Napcar: where else are you going to see a 32-car pile up, and not be in the damn thing?

3:37 PM  
Blogger mattp_68135 said...

Brian Setzer's not cool?

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares