July 7, 2005

A Sad Day for London


A very sad day today for all freedom loving people with the bombing of three tube stops and a city bus in London's city center. Thoughts and prayers go out to the people of London and those with family and friends there who touched in some way by these events.

I myself have friends in the area who in one way or another put themselves in harms way by doing nothing more than taking the outsanding public transportation system that London provides. I myself have been to all three of the tube stops that were hit today as well....very well knowing that could have been me on that train, fighting to get out because some jackoff with a cause decided to go see Allah.

Please excuse my soapbox, but it is times like this that we must remember several VERY important things.

1) We are still at war. Don't believe the evening news...Michael Moore or anybody else who tells you we are losing the war on terror. We are winning the war because we live our life here at home as if nothing is going on. If you haven't turned on a TV or gone to an airport in the past 3 years, you probably would never know there is an entire faith of people who want us all dead. You can argue Iraq is another Vietnam. You can argue we went about this all wrong. But the point is, we are winning because the fight is not in our backyard. I remember sitting in the car, driving home 27 hours from LA on 9/11...thinking to myself that this was the beginning of the end. Mass drafts, countries would fall, hundreds of thousands of troops would die to eradicate terrorism for what they did to us. But alas, aside from the brave troops who have died in Afghanistan and Iraq...our casualties have been relatively nil.

2) It could be so much worse. If a terrorist group gains control of a nuclear bomb, this will seem like a picnic not even worth remembering.

3) Liberals can argue that we created this. That our own policies have brewed this hatred towards all thing western culture. The truth be told, this is far beyond that. The truth be told that this has gone on for 2,000 years+...the U.S. has been around a paultry 229. The fact that our people are educated and are able to think and act freely is something so radical, so revolutionary, that uneducated and impoverished fools abroad do not have the capability to deal with their own existance. As women are kept like dogs, and literacy hovers around 5% in the arab world...think for a moment who is right and who is wrong here. Nature has a food chain...humanity has a food chain. And although it is necessary to help those in need, you must also remember that the food chain will always exist, and there will always be those who hate us because we have more than they do. They then lean on religion as their only way to escape.

I'm not a world leader...I'm not a person capable of making change to anybody outside my family....but I will live my life as best I can, all the while thanking those who sacrafice their life and their family's well-being to protect us.

God bless England and her citizens today. I hope this reminds us just what kind of scum we are dealing with in a war that seems to exist only on TV.

13 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Bravo...

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are indeed Muslims that see us Christians as infidels and wish us dead, but most Muslims that live in the U.S. are just as horrified by these events as we are. I wonder if this kind of hate isn't something that is part of the human condition, and not something unique to Islam.

9:56 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Hmmmmmm, a very astute observation. I guess I wonder if just how different the muslim world is HERE, as compared to in the middle east. In other words, it's obvious that muslims in this country would feel that way, because they came here for a reason. You probably aren't going to find too many disgruntled Saudi's in this country who love what Osama is doing these days. (Although I'm sure there are more than some).

Either way, a good point. Do not take my comments to mean all muslims are bad. But what I'm saying is that the middle east, anchored by the muslim world, is a breeding ground of disdain, poor education and a dying sense of traditionalism that is tying them down from progress.

Unless of course you feel it's OK to keep women chained up under wraps in basements, only to have your 13 year old daughter married off...in which case, I guess it's ok.

:)

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog- though you speak with a lot of authority on some things you don't seem to know much about. Particularly on this issue, you'd probably find a bit of reading around the whole topic interesting (and i daresay very enlightening).

10:45 PM  
Blogger A J said...

I'm open to read whatever you want to suggest. I think I dare say I've read up quite a bit on the subject, but I'm always open to new ideas.

I'm trying not to get too political here, because people tend to get too pissed off. However, I think on days like today it's unavoidable.

For the most part, it's just a release of ideas and the ability to share what I'm thinking at the time. However, I'm always open to an opposite opinion, even if I think it's wrong. You are always welcome to express it here.

Welcome.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there's a wealth of material out there explaining the situation. I imagine your time is short and politics isn't a big part of your life, so this article should be good. It's a short introduction to some of real factors influencing the issue- quite different the political rhetoric or vague intuitions that are so commonly used to explain things like this.

http://www.globalagendamagazine.com/2005/fredhalliday.asp

[actually discovered this site only a couple of days ago- that list of contributors down the side is rather impressive, is it not?]

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not that important, but you do know you can leave your name, right?

3:20 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

but it is much easier to hide...

7:12 AM  
Blogger A J said...

Appreciate the input and the opposite opinion.

However, I am educated to know that politics, or one secular portion of politics (in this case Middle East relations) are a VERY VERY complex thing. It's not just one thing or another that causes something to happen. There are a myriad of issues that accumulate over time that help factor into certain situations.

I feel I said absolutely NOTHING wrong in my statements on this particular post, and would challenge you to find flaws. If you do...bravo. Again..it's just opinion, and the more dates and facts you can bring to the table the better.

8:12 AM  
Blogger A J said...

PS - If this is bookman, I'm going to be pissed. And I have ways of finding out.

;)

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who I am doesn't matter- you don't know me, i just came here randomly. I don't even know what a 'husker' is, and was quite suprised you replied when i came back out of curiosity. I won't be back.

As to your opinion- did you *read* the thing i suggested? I suggest your mate adam does too, in spite of the headache that multiple lines seem to give him.

As you said, these things are complex- don't you think you oversimplify things just a tad? I suspect this is taking things way too far, especially when everyone agrees that this is a terrible incident, but I really think you need to give the way you explain things like this serious thought.

Cheers for dealing with contradiction so well, and congrats on the mysterious leap in hits on your blog!

4:29 AM  
Blogger A J said...

Wait....won't be back?

OK...now you lost me. Come on man...if you're going to light a match like that...stay at least to watch it burn.

8:25 AM  
Blogger A J said...

Funny you should mention global world ecomony, because I just got an A in my Masters Level Global economics class that I just got done taking.

So what does the decline of western capitolism have to do with anything? In many senses, capitolism is just now starting because of globalization, and the realization of some countries (such as Franc and other EU nations) that if you don't jump on globalized economics now...you'll regret it later. (Unless 13% unemployment and a 0.5% drop in GDP while other nations are gaining is a good enough indicator for you.)

I'm still failing to see what this has to do with anything I said prevsiously.

Oh well..doesn't matter. You aren't coming back.

:)

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares