July 1, 2006

Now here's a fine mess.....



Damn kids keep waking me up early on the weekends. Don't they know what day it is? So what if the little one is under 18 months, you'd think he'd at least have the common decency to sleep in a little bit. Oh well...now I have time to make some updates on some things that are pissing me off.

- What in the hell is going on at UNO? I knew things were bad, but sheesh...I didn't know it was mass chaos. Funny thing is, they make all these moves under the condition that they don't think anybody will notice. Uhhhh..HELLO? It's July in Omaha. Even the Husker freaks aren't going yet and Jeremy Crabtree the recruiting guy is only on the radio here TWICE a week. What did you think people were going to do with their sports page? Follow the Omaha Royals? Publinks? I thought you had to be fairly intelligent to run a university. Apparently not.

I'm not going to pretend to think I know everything that is going on, because unlike a lot of folks who read this blog, I really don't care that much. Oh, don't get me wrong...I want to see them win in all sports, but it's not really my school, nor do I have a connection to it, other than the fact that my wife graduated from there. I love the hockey program because I've watched it grow since before it's birth, and college hockey is probably the greatest spectator sport around. With that being said, I'm not going to be hanging on every development that is going on like others are...and that's OK. But, that's not going to keep me from throwing in my 2 cents because quite frankly...that's what I do.

It sounds to me..and I don't have all the facts yet, that what we got here is failure to communicate. Actually, more likely what we have is gross mismanagement of an athletic department that is stuck in the 1980's, shortly after one of the greatest revelations in Omaha history. (The birth of UNO hockey some 12 years ago). However, since then as others have stated, it seems the athletic depatment was handed the keys to a Ferrari, when they don't even know how to ride with training wheels. How else would you explain the borderline incompitant moves that have been made over the last few years?

I mean, did they get together in a room and say, "You know what is a good idea? Let's not advertise at all and take 1/3 of our season ticket holders and double their price. That's a great idea." These people have absolutely, positively NO CLUE how to run a franchise. And don't kid yourself...it's not a program, it's a franchise. When your hockey team is keeping almost every other program afloat..it's more than a program. And I haven't even touched on the concept of following the lead of others and joining Division 1. I'm sure lots of factors are involved that I don't understand, but I have a feeling it's the same thing that keeps everything else here stuck in the 80's....

Husker football.

Let's hope these things get sorted out before the season starts in October. We've had nothing but distractions over the past several years, and it would certainly be nice to head to the Qwest this fall and not worry about things like re-seating, a crappy schedule, nets and a group of ushers who would make Joseph Gerbels proud.

Scratch that...they're all still there.

Ugh.

PS - Lots of ugly replies to my posts on the College World Series. (You should see the ones I have to reject). Apparently people are still missing my point. I think it's a great event for the city and should never ever move. However, the people who run that thing are so evil, so vile and so careless with what YOU, the CWS fan thinks or cares about....it's sickening. Besides, I still hold a slight grudge over those assholes stealing my stuff from the time I worked at the Royals. Fuck you Dennis. Fuck you Jim. Fuck you Jack. Sorry everybody else has to get in the middle of my personal vendetta.

3 Comments:

Blogger A J said...

Hosh....I hear ya.

AJ

12:19 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I await your anti-Hassebrook rant.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Hosh said...

Amen, brother.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares