Quick Saturday Notes
- Not sure why everybody is predicting death blows for K-State. Louisville isn’t the pseudo-power they once were, but that’s still a pretty difficult place for them to win. I’m not sure what their fans think, but I certainly wasn’t expecting TOO many miracles. Granted I thought there was a chance their JUCO players could develop, and who knows..they might. But Josh Freeman is pressing way way too hard at this point. (And yeah, you can tell he isn’t getting much help. The loss of Jordy Nelson may be bigger than people think.)
- Great win by Colorado the other night. That defense is kinda nasty, and no matter what West Virginia has shown this season tripping over their own feet at East Carolina, they do have some serious speed. The key to me for Colorado is to get Hawkins more comfortable in the pocket. Not sure why, but it seems it takes him a while to get wound up and fire. West Virginia has a decent defense (I guess)..but they’ll never be compared to the 75 Steelers. I expect more of the same out of CU, with a few wins over teams they are underdogs to, and perhaps a loss where it isn’t expected when somebody jumps out to a big early lead. Regardless, that’s the second best team in the North if you ask me.
- Holy hell was I pulling for Baylor last night. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that the young Bears have some serious speed and quickness on board. There were actually times last night where I wasn’t even sure I was watching Baylor. Granted, they are extremely young and inexperienced, but UConn is a quality team and winning on the road at night is never easy. It’s too bad they play in a wicked division, or I’d be excited for what the future brings for them. And yeah…I wouldn’t be shocked if they pulled an upset or two later in the season.
- Ryder Cup: Don’t care. Never have cared. Never will care. 14 millionaires battling for a trophy that isn’t that big in an event that really doesn’t mean that much anymore. ESPN can stop bombarding me with it as soon as possible please.
- Most interesting game of the day: Va Tech at North Carolina. Let’s see how Taylor handles a sea of Carolina blue prior to his trip to the heartland and 85,000 “BoKnowsDefense” shirts. I’m not expecting much out of the Hokies, but it will be rather telling to see how they play now that they’re settling down with their lineup a bit.
- I’m sorry, but I’m not convinced Georgia and Arizona State are two of the better teams in the country tonight. Granted, I give the Dawgs credit for traveling more than 200 miles for a road game for the first time since the Kennedy administration, but as I said last week…I was extremely unimpressed with their performance in Columbia, SC last week. For ASU, I guess we’ll see if the guy who kicked J.C. Keller out of town was worth all the fuss.
- Cox Communications is adding Fox Sports Net HD 1/3 through the college football season and at the very end of baseball season. Thanks a lot for your excellent timing. Can’t wait for my bill to go up 10 bucks a month when the HD additions are all added on.
- Omaha Royals are leaving? Don’t care anymore. The whole thing is tired to me. Other than the NCAA, pretty much everybody loses. The Royals lose their home of 30 years. The city loses 150 million dollars to build a mediocre stadium that will sit empty 50 weeks a year. South Omaha loses. Pretty much everybody loses. Nice going everyone…good thing you wore a kilt on your date with Dennis Pope and the rest of the evil pricks that make up the NCAA.
Enjoy watching the games or the Apple Festival or whatever it is you people do when the Huskers aren’t playing.