It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
I’m not sure what it is…maybe it’s the cooler weather? Or maybe it’s football on TV 5 times a week? Or maybe it’s the fact that your team is JUST now figuring out that just maybe that cupboard isn’t quite as full as you thought it was going to be? Did I mention my team is really good? (Oh sure they crushed a glorified high school team…but come on. Does anybody else have that many weapons and such clear path?)
Regardless, a few random thoughts as we kick start the new week…gearing up for the over-hyped faux battle Royal that is Ohio State vs. USC. (Think you'll hear any hype about that one this week?)
- Speaking of Ohio State…I realize I’ve touched on this before…but does ANYBODY outside of their own fan base think Ohio State is even a legit top 10 team? I understand they have good athletes and I understand they play in a gigantic stadium filled with red-clad idiots. (Hmmmm…) I don’t know about you…but listening to Rivals Radio in the morning today, I am already sick and tired of hearing these people pound their chest while skirting by some of the shittiest competition around. (BuckeyeH8er anyone?) Regardless of what I think, USC is going to smash this team by 20+ points, and I’m sure it won’t be just myself who is starting the petition to never again let this crappy overrated collection of stiffs near the BCS title game. (At least not without having to play a conference championship game in a conference that doesn’t suck.)
- Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady: SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT TOM BRADY. Dude plays a position that leads to injuries to just about everybody at some point or another during a single season, and ESPN is about to declare a National day of mourning. I realize he plays QB for the most bandwagon football franchise on the planet, but dude got hurt…not shot. And no, it wasn’t a cheap shot…despite what 590am’s Matt Perrault or any other whiny ass Boston jackass fan tries to spin today. These pricks haven’t played the downtrodden card of late, so they quickly slip back into character without so much as batting an eye. Are we supposed to feel SORRY for these clowns? You lost all sympathy from me the second the Red Sox payroll hit 900 billion dollars.
Sucks for Tom Brady…I’m sure one of his 15 supermodel girlfriends will make him forget all about those millions of dollars and multiple Super Bowl rings. He’s over it…you should too. Idiots.
- Didn’t I tell you people K-State and Texas would fly under the radar this season? Granted, it’s only 2 games in and the season is young…but both teams are playing well and picking up steam. KSU has been getting outstanding play from Freeman (Never underestimate a solid upperclassman QB not named Ganz) and Texas THRIVES on being left out of the division title conversation. And yes, I also told you Texas Tech wouldn’t live up to NEARLY the hype they’ve been given. (But then again…everybody already knew that.)
- Speaking of told you so’s….didn’t I tell you people the Democrats were walking into a trap when John McCain selected Sarah Palin as his running mate? I’m pretty sure I told you so…too bad they didn’t listen because that crazy old bastard may have just passed Obama for good this week.
- Every year…some mid-level team pulls off a couple of upsets early and unexpectedly vaults into the polls. And right on cue…every year that same old team hit’s the pavement when the slightest bit of expectation is placed upon them. (South Florida was the darling of the top 25 this time last year). Enter East Carolina circa 2008. By no means does this mean they suck…but if you’re a Vegas kinda guy…you might want to get ready and bet the farm (many of you quite literally) that a letdown is in store. It could be in New Orleans (Tulane) this week…or perhaps even Houston at home on 9/27. Rest assured however, this is a good team getting props way way too fast.
- Is it just me, or is there a gigantic influx of really REALLY bad teams this year? Notre Dame sucks just slightly less than San Diego State. Michigan is absolutely awful. (As is almost every team in the Big 10) Suddenly USC is back to being the only great team in the Pac 10, and somewhere along the way….LSU forgot to find a QB and is riding a top 10 ranking on name alone. And weren't Boston College and Oregon top flight teams not all that long ago?
- Finally..I’ve said it once and I’ve said it again: Count me in as one of the few non-media types who want NOTHING to do with a playoff in college football. (Don’t get me wrong, it will never happen anyway..but still.) Granted, the powers that be would never get it right anyway…but even if they did, you wouldn’t see the do-or-die nature of some of the early season games. Oh sure, a loss this time of year won’t kill you…but don’t tell that to BYU, who used one of the worst calls in the history of college football to keep their BCS hopes alive. (And don’t kid yourself…even an early September loss to crappy Washington would have cost them a shot in the long run.) I hate it when ESPN pundits are right..but in this case….you’re sacrificing a lot of pivotal games early…for 3-7 great games later on. (if that). I’m sorry..it just doesn’t make sense.
Power Poll #3
1) Missouri (2-0) vs. Nevada – Mizzou put the wood to Cape Girardeau High School on Saturday without breaking a sweat..as much was said about Gary Pinkel pulling the redshirt off of former Husker heartthrob Blaine Gabbert. Count me in as one who thinks it’s a great idea. A seasoned Gabbert could be the difference between 8-9 wins next year or 4-5 wins. A very good idea if you ask me.
2) Kansas State (2-0) at Louisville – Another ‘I told you so’ for our new #2 in the power poll, as pretty much everybody but me seems shocked by the Cat’s offensive explosion over the first 2 games. Oh sure, they haven’t really played anybody, and Louisville offers a stern test on Wednesday night…but look no further than 2007 KU who used constant ass-blasting of sub-par teams to parlay themselves into a BCS run defying ridiculous odds that will never be touched again.
3) Colorado (2-0) vs. West Virginia – The Mountaineers fell from 8th to 25th and now this game doesn’t look quite so daunting. I’m not sure CU has enough gas in the tank to take out WVU’s athletes…but they did it to Oklahoma last year in Boulder..a team twice as good as the Rich Rodriguezless defending Fiesta Bowl Champs. Best game of the weekend the way I see it.
4) Kansas (2-0) at South Florida – Look for the two-year running Cinderella Jayhawks to get gang raped in a dirty back ally behind a Wendy’s in downtown Tampa on Friday.
5) Iowa State (2-0) at Iowa – Far worse Iowa State teams have beaten far better Hawkeye teams in recent years. These two fan bases hate each other, which as you know earns tons of respect in my book. A big win here and a 3-0 start could pull ISU out of the preverbal North gutter and head into conference play with all sorts of confidence.
6) Nebraska (2-0) vs. New Mexico State – If you’re struggling with San Jose State…at home…with less than 15 minutes to go…you’re not very good. Funny thing this past week, it was the vaulted high-flying NU offense that decided to belly flop. Panic has once again started to descend upon Lincoln with his good friend apathy not too far behind.
1) Oklahoma (2-0) at Washington – Watching the Cincinnati game last weekend…OU has some ridiculous athletes and speed. But with that being said..it’s usually right about here (and January 1st) where Bob Stoops’ team likes to take a breather now and then. Wash U isn’t too bad, but if the Sooners have their heads out of their ass early…it shouldn’t’ be close.
2) Texas (2-0) vs. Arkansas – Texas has put together back to back ass-whippings against two not-quite-as-bad-as-San Jose opponents. Colt McCoy is starting to look like Roger Staubach once again and Arkansas is butt-ass awful. (A 4 point win over Western Illinois and a 1 point squeaker against Louisiana Monroe?) Looks like a great big burned orange enema coming your way Bobby. Get ready for it.
3) Oklahoma State (2-0) vs. Missouri State – The Pokes remind me of Missouri of a few years ago. (Granted, Mizzou probably wouldn’t have beaten Washington State or anybody else on the road for that matter) However, they have weapons galore and look to be a big fat 5-0 heading into Columbia on October 11th. The school formerly known as Southwest Missouri State was smoked by Washburn last weekend. If a borderline NAIA school from Topeka beats you…you have some issues playing a team as good as OSU. Any questions?
4) Texas Tech (2-0) vs. SMU – Granted, Tech hasn’t really done anything to warrant dropping in the polls (they haven’t really still sitting at #12)…but there’s something about this team that just doesn’t look right. Perhaps it’s crappy coaching? Perhaps it’s a mediocre defense? Regardless, look for more of the same as the Raiders get ready for Manhattan on October 4th by playing SMU and the 8th most popular college team in Massachusetts in the Minutemen.
5) Baylor (1-1) vs. Washington State – That’s right…I’m moving Baylor out of the basement. Even against crappy 1-AA Northwestern State, a 51-6 win is impressive if you’re the Bears. Washington State proved they pretty much suck and damnit…BU is due. (watch them lose by 50)
6) Texas A&M (1-1) vs. Miami Fla - I actually thought the Canes played pretty good against Florida the other night. A&M is still coming off that program-changing 6 point win over New Mexico last weekend. After facing Tim Tebow and company last week, the Hurricanes shouldn’t have a whole lot of problem against Mike Sherman’s convoluted mess of an offense. (Surely they’re better than Arkansas State right?)