September 3, 2008

The Worst Day of the Week


I forgot how much Wednesdays suck during the football season. I’m not sure why, but Tuesdays and Wednesdays just seem to drag when you’re waiting for this weekend’s games. But then again, when everybody is playing NAIA schools, there just doesn’t seem to be as much to look forward to. Oh well, beats talking about the spring game.

A few odds and ends on a slow Wednesday.

** Have I mentioned how much I’m looking forward to watching the first Bo Pelini press conference after a Husker loss. I’m not sure if it’s going to be yelling, slammed fists or just stomping off, but you and I both know it’s going to be animated and borderline scary.

Which brings me to another thought…how are the Howdy Doody people of Nebraska going to TRULY like it when their coach throws a tantrum like a 5 year old girl? (Again) Granted, I already know the answer to that question ("we love his fire and passion!")…but still. This all goes back to my point that all of this is in question because YOU people have spent the better part of 30+ years telling us how pure and great you are.

The Great Raider Flunky© episode is being treated here locally as if you all as a whole were an elderly couple in Sioux City who was just ripped off by a driveway repair scheme. Hell, I expect WOWT-TV investigative reporter Mike McKnight to come running at you all with a microphone in hand and a fist full of receipts in the other.

But rest assured…none of you have figured this out yet, so why even dwell on it? It’s obviously going to take more than one failed regime to convince you just how pathetic your “Championship contending program” has fallen. (Who am I kidding…you’re on #3 right now).

** Nice to see 6 men and 6 women (most likely wearing red during deliberations) found Husker Andy Christensen not guilty of first degree sexual assault on Tuesday. It was also nice to know that the jury foreman…had to make sure he told ALL of us that Christensen’s standing as a Husker football player had “nothing to do whatsoever” with their decision.

The World Herald quotes the foreman as continuing, “Even though most of us thought something happened, we didn’t have any proof.”

PROOF!?!?

I’m going out on a limb and saying that big red ‘N’ on his helmet on Saturday’s is a pretty good indicator that dude most may have gotten into a situation he should have been. (I also like how the World Herald made sure they mentioned what a good “student” he was by mentioning his GPA. Would they mention that in any other case?) I mean…I understand the World Herald…especially NOW is not going to take the young woman’s side in this matter…but does the JURY have to be so adamant about how they thought something happened but there was no proof?

So does this mean that as long as I’m in a crowded bar, I can pretty much do whatever I want to whomever I want as long as I do it below everybody’s drink level? Jesus, were they asking for autographs after the trial? And if there was no “proof” who the hell else did it? He was standing right behind her. (All witnesses can attest to that). And if he wasn’t guilty and was this sweet student athlete the lawyers and paper are making him out to be…why did he decide to throw the bar owner to the floor and wrestle with 6 cops?

No action has been taken by Pelini, but it will be very interesting to see how he handles it. This wasn’t exactly a paper cup thrown at an exchange student we’re talking about here. Despite the legal clearing of his charges, dude was still drunk, dude was still violent and dude (to those outside this state only) gave you and your program a bad name.

And to this day, I still haven’t figured out how the guy posted 6 figures in bail money. I’m sure it was on the up and up though.

** On a less serious note…it’s been interesting to see Missouri fans in such a negative light over the past few days and weeks. Go to any Big 12 message board..hell, even some national ones..and you’ll see some post that resembles this:

“Who the hell do these people think they are? They have one or two seasons where they’re good and they think they’re the next dynasty.”

I would like to address those comments and others like them with a simple reply that I’m sure speaks for many of my fellow fans:

Eat me.

When you root for a team THAT bad for THAT long, you long long long long since realize that you don’t give a damn what anybody thinks about you. You didn’t have to put up getting beat by Texas A&M 77-0. YOU didn’t have to watch K-State play 5th stringers in a 1999 66-0 laugher. YOU didn’t have to sit in a monsoon in Bowling Green flippin Ohio, and watch some no-name quarterback launch 80 yard bombs on a goddamn oversized high school field as your team sloshed around helpless in the mud.

Putting up with year after year after year of underperforming and let’s face it…embarrassing football earns you a badge of honor that most of you are not fit to wear. If you are down on the ground long enough, you’ll realize just how tough it is to struggle to the top. It’s this underdog mentality that makes sports great, and I pity you for never being able to experience this yourself. (Although let’s be honest…in about 10-15 years, you’ll most likely be there as well. However with the new 12 game schedules, even the worst BCS conference teams can rack up a few token wins per year.)

Next time you see a post like that, please take notice that not only do most of us care what anybody else thinks…but we welcome the fact that somebody put us in that light in the first place. It’s certainly better than being completely ignored.

With that being said, do you guys even play this weekend? I can’t remember.


Power Poll #2


NORTH:
1) Missouri (1-0) vs. Southeast Missouri
- SEMO had to struggle putting away a junior high team last weekend, as they prepare to face one of the most potent offenses in the land on Saturday. Pad the stats, play the backups and pray nobody gets hurt. Hate week is four weeks away.

2) Colorado (1-0) vs. Eastern Washington - The Buffs looked awfully good against CSU last weekend, but a trap has been set for Saturday. Eastern Washington hung with Texas Tech club with far more weapons than Dan Hawkins and company. The Buffs play borderline NFL teams in the next few weeks…gotta take care of business here.

3) Kansas State (1-0) vs. Montana State – I told you people K-State wouldn’t be the crappy and desperate pushover many of you felt they would be. Granted they’ve done nothing major yet, but Josh Freeman as an upper classman is a dangerous weapon that should be taken seriously.

4) Kansas (1-0) vs. La Tech – La Tech beat a spunky SEC team on the road last week. That being said they’re still La Tech, and KU still feels like some sort of National Power. It took the whole game to pull away from Florida International but let’s face it…KU is due for a more workmanlike performance this week.

5) Iowa State (1-0) vs. Kent State – I don’t care if it was SDSU, I thought the clones look sharp. Kent had their number last year, but all ISU needed was a little confidence. We shall see.

6) Nebraska (1-0) vs. San Jose Middle School JV - I’ve actually heard a couple Husker fans tell me they are a bit concerned about the transfers that San Jose will bring to Lincoln. With that being said, they’re still San Jose State, and they still play in a stadium smaller than the press box at Memorial Stadium. Even ME of all people would be shocked if the bench isn’t empty by the 3rd quarter. (And that’s saying something)


SOUTH:

1) Oklahoma (1-0) vs. Cincinnati - Cincinnati doesn’t completely suck. However, Oklahoma has way too many weapons and is fresh off their open scrimmage last weekend.

2) Texas (1-0) at UTEP – UT looked awfully good Saturday, as people suddenly remembered that Colt McCoy is still the Longhorn’s quarterback and oh yeah…he’s pretty good. Something tells me Texas feeds off this kind of stuff, which is dangerous for everybody else.

3) Oklahoma State (1-0) vs. Houston – I realize Wazzu isn’t that good and they’ll face way bigger challenges in the future, but I thought OSU looked awfully good with a lot of weapons. They may not be better than Tech, but they certainly earn points in my book for going on the road against a Pac 10 game and winning easily.

4) Texas Tech (1-0) at Nevada – How the hell did Tech not blow out Eastern Washington? On paper, this team is absolutely stacked…however it appears that Mike Leach might not be the master general that many make him out to be. I’m sorry…I’m not sold yet. A win over a mediocre Nevada team in Reno might help a bit.

5) Baylor (0-1) vs. Northwestern State – I think you’ll agree with me that Baylor sucks, but they actually aren’t boring to watch. They’ve got a long way to go…but I wouldn’t be shocked one bit if somebody struggled in Waco this season.

6) Texas A&M (0-1) at New Mexico – Is it just me or does Mike Sherman look like Slobodan Milosevic? I’m not a true expert, but I’m fairly certain that given a headset and a dictionary, even the former Serbian leader would have been good for at least a 10 point win over a crappy Arkansas State team…especially at home.
(Photo Credits: Huskers.com and Washington Post)

13 Comments:

Blogger NE-Jhawk said...

I'm confused. It took the second half to 'pull away' from FIU????

It was 30-10 at half and the final was 40-10. I'm not sure what you call 'pulling away' but I'm pretty sure that happened in the 2nd quarter.

But at least we were able to pull away from our team :)

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ, having grown up in Columbia and graduating from Mizzou during the Stull era, I would like to repeat your sentiment as my own;

EAT ME

I couldn't give a rats ass if the rest of the world thinks that we are the Raider fans of college football. We are not trying to be "better" than anyone else. All college fan bases can leave that to Nebraska. However, having long suffered and being mocked and made fun of, or worse yet, patronized on failed road trips, I will personally take this opportunity to enjoy my team's success to the fullest. If I hurt someone's feelings along the way, then boo fucking hoo!

MUAlum

12:22 PM  
Blogger A J said...

You would be sad if every week I didn't throw at least one jab at KU. If I left it out, you would be the first to notice it.

I don't buy the hype this week though. La Tech sucks and KU should crush them.

We shall see.

As for the anonymous guy....word.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Husker_Engineer said...

Being a blog reader, among other things, I have seen a lot of those comments about Mizzou fans. Fuck 'em. Your team is very good and in the spotlight. You, of all people, should understand how fleeting that can be. Enjoy it. Be the biggest douche bag on the planet. Your office, cubical, or (in your case AJ) Kum N Go register should be completely adorned with every manner of team paraphernalia. You should take every chance possible to remind folks that Mizzzzzzurrrrrah (and you must say it just like that) is the cat's fucking pajamas right now. List off Maclin's stats like they were biblical quotes. Talk about how Chance McDanielson will dedicate a portion of his Heisman acceptance speech to commenting on the genocide currently happening in some African country....and how cool is that he thinks of others at a time like that.

Anyway, its good being king. Being a douche is way more fun than trying to 'act like you've been there'. Hell, I have been there and I act like an ass most of the time wrt my team 24/7. After the '94 Orange Bowl......never mind, not sure what the statute of limitations is....

Regarding Christiansen. Not my place to say whether he did it or not. I did not sit in court. However he did admit to a lot of other shit I can make a judgment on. I think he forfeited the privilege of wearing the scarlet and cream.

I was going to say that I could not believe you still had us #6 in the power poll, but then I remembered who the fuck I was talking to.

I think you have Texas A&M ranked too high in the south. I guarantee that right at this moment, there is a burnt out car on I-35 somewhere in the DFW Metroplex that could get more yardage against Ark St. than A&M did.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mizzou fans are the John McCain of college football fans. We were beaten, tortured, beaten some more, cheated out of victories over superior programs, beaten some more, demoralized, mentally tortured, beaten some more, given a small dose of success, had it ripped away from us, beaten some more. Any success we have over our former captors does give us carte blanch to say emphatically:

Eat Me!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Nowledge said...

AJ:

Not defending Andy, but the jury's decision was based on lack of evidence. Being a victim of that sort of abuse myself, I know that in a trial setting, you have to have more evidence than she says, he says. Unfortunately, that's where it ended up.

He must have one heck of a lawyer too, but their defense did iterate she blew a 0.10 after the altercation. I still think it's crap, considering how many witnesses were there and who could've added more to the prosecution.

To conclude my disorganized thoughts, I think he didn't get off easy because he WAS a Husker. I do think, however, that he did get financing and help for his case AS a HUSKER that could have led to causing reasonable doubt, therefore the "Not Guilty" verdict.

:(

3:01 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Goddamn Yanks...that my be the best post you've ever made here.

Props to you

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn AJ:

YOU, my crazy back woods want to be Missouri fan, seem to know Pelini better then anyone else in the whole wide friggin world. Are you sleeping with him since your sheep died or what?

Go away, let him make his own way.

Gomer

11:18 PM  
Blogger Husker_Engineer said...

I have been told that Christiansen is no longer part of the program. Nothing definite yet, but came from a good source. Looks initially that Bo ain't gonna put up with too much thuggin' and herb smokin' (ala Dixon).....although brewski's are still on the table. (Teafatiller-who is playing this week after a one-game suspension)

2:22 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Andy, before you throw rants out there, you might want to read long enough to figure out who my team is.

Good stuff though. Thanks for posting.

6:58 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Sorry...ESPN's big 12 blog today. Love that guy.



http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-2-28/brVince-Young-s-sausage-business-tops-blog-appetizers.html

7:01 PM  
Blogger Husker_Engineer said...

Who the hell is Andy....and props for the ESPN name drop

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ESPN ("The guys at Behind Enemy Lines ...") seems convinced there is no way one man could do this blog by himself. And Slobo would have executed the entire Ark St team by halftime -- problem solved.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares