Down to the Wire
As the off-season hits the stretch run, we are less than two weeks to go, and the cockroaches are already out in full force. I'm not sure if you've noticed this or not, but as time runs out, the rhetoric from Husker fan turns idiotic. It absolutely slays me that you’ve been reduced to go to the, “Oh yeah, your team will never be jack” argument. Funny because 1) I’ve never been under the delusion that my team is all that great and 2) that would insinuate their own team is going to somehow climb out of the sewer and make it’s way back to the land of the just mediocre.
Now you and I know that the road back from a team so bad that it gave up 76 points against a brutally mediocre KU team is long. But to actually have the audacity that it’s your God given right to assume your throne is laughable. Why on earth are you any different than Penn State? Why on earth are you any different than Alabama? Or Notre Dame? Miami? Florida State? All of these teams were great at one time, and then slipped back into perennial mediocrity. What in the HELL do you have that these teams don’t?
No, what you had was a nice little 3-4 year run in the 90’s, where ESPN and DVD’s allowed you to relive your greatness over and over and over again. Meanwhile, the rest of the world has zoomed by you as you were stuck in neutral, kissing your biceps in the mirror. Regardless, these facts will again come to fruition in the next few weeks…and we will be right back here again…talking about another season of Husker football pathetically flushed down the drain.
Yes, the season is almost here, and once again you have no idea how to handle yourself. On one hand, you want to pound your chest and show the world that you are BACK. You’d love to tell me and the rest of the world just how big of a surprise we are in for when King Bo gets this team of highly skilled and talented players to “try hard.” But instead, you come off sounding pathetic and sad…just about every single time. Kinda like a woman in her 40’s who has long since lost her looks, but continues to preach to the world how gorgeous she is. Meanwhile, she’s sagging all over she's been pounded into the consistency of oatmeal, and her face looks like the back of a catchers mitt.
I mean just face it…your prime years are over. Now just like people who grow older, there’s nothing to say you won’t have some nice wins…maybe even go to a bowl game again some day. But still, there is absolutely NO EVIDENCE whatsoever to prove that you are ANYWHERE close to above the programs that I listed above. You simply have yet to figure out that time have changed, and so has the world around you. But still, you keep on keeping on…all the way til you drop off that cliff once again.
Pity the rest of us see it and you don’t.
Regardless, you’ll find out soon enough. But, since college football will be our primary focus over the next couple of weeks…let’s hit a few random items before we dive into the next great chapter of the 21st century collapse of the Husker football team.
- Nice to see the City of Omaha and MECA have basically sold the entire region a bag of magic beans, as their 150 million dollar facility will sit butt-ass empty for 50 weeks a year. (The city and the Omaha Royals basically told each other to kiss off this past week.) How absolutely Omaha is it to be so obsessed with ONE event (with ESPN cameras fawning all over them of course)…that they completely drove the other event that would keep that area alive out of town? I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again..the Royals and their owners are not innocent here. However, the city probably should do a bit more homework before they tell the rest of us, “Yeah, thanks for money. Don’t worry about those 50 weeks per year the stadium will sit empty. We’ve got lots of great Creighton 1pm Thursday games against Illinois State in 40 degree weather to keep things hopping.”
This town is run by idiots. Always has been.
- I had a reader last week to ask my take on the Olympics and the over-abundance over coverage that NBC has shoved down our throats. Now I’m not going to lie to you; unlike many of you, I have been out of the 402 area code, and have friends in other countries who are huge sports fans. While we have great pro leagues and such, other countries simply have the Olympics as the gold standard of success in which they can strive to. (And yes, if you havne't figured it out yet, when the United States wins..it REALLY pisses the rest of the world off).
When I was a kid, I loved it mostly because I loved variety. Back then, the Olympics were really the only TV event (other than New Year’s Day) where sports took over the television for a complete day/night. Without cable...I’m not sure why I found water polo fascinating, but I did. Hell, even today it’s pretty amazing to me that in the most simplistic of ways…since their goal is the same…a table tennis player from Thailand is the sporting equal to Kobe Bryant..if even for a week or two.
Now for a while, I will admit that Olympics sucked, thanks largely to NBC’s insistence that only women watch the games and all they want to see is gymnastics and swimming. Don’t get me wrong..these events are difficult…but I don’t need to see 15 year old girls flying through the air every night for two weeks. (As was such the last few Olympics.)
However, NBC has actually hit one out of the park by putting TONS of other sports coverage on their other networks. Just the other day I was actually enjoying (to a slight degree) a field hockey game between Australia and some country I've never heard of. Now, you and I both know that field hockey isn’t a real sport, and I certainly don’t care if Australia is that good at it. But just the fact that I can WATCH this game, and not be subjected to 12 hours of swimming is outstanding.
With all that being said, not only am I not going to bitch about the Olympics, but I must say I very much enjoyed the games and really have to commend NBC for their coverage. I don’t usually hand out media compliment, so you might want to take a screen shot. I’ll almost be sorry when they’re over when I can’t get up at 3:30am and catch a Trinidad boxer taking on some dude from Uzbekistan.
- Aren’t we about due for one of your players to get arrested? Usually it’s about this time of year before some Husker freak gets full of himself, and expresses his goodwill to some woman at a bar with a right cross to the jaw. I was just thinking it has been at least a few months before we’ve had an assault or a domestic disturbance of some sort. But then again, you had wrestlers show up on gay porn sites, so I guess that will have to do for a bit.
- Kudos to the Kansas City Royals for making me care about baseball through July instead of the usual mid-May. I guess we can use that as a starting point to our ultimate goal of watching this team go .500…but alas, it’s not going to be this year. Special kudos to Brian Bannister, who went from a dominant force, to a complete disaster in just one year. Congrats Banny!!!
- I’m not sure what it is..but I really hate the Little League World Series. I’m not sure why, but it’s pretty blatant that 12 year olds should not be 6-3 and throw 80mph from 40 feet away. Now I realize that some kids are just good athletes, and great ballplayers have to be 12 at some point. But just like the whole Barry Bonds situation last year..don’t insult my intelligence by not admitting these teams are using illegal players. I mean, wasn’t the original point to watch young kids try and battle on a tiny diamond where the experience is the most important thing?
Think about how corrupt your local YMCA program is, and then multiply it by 100x when the ESPN clips come rolling in. If you don’t see something wrong here..well, I simply can’t help you.