July 6, 2008

Getting Back to Why We're Here

Oh sure, the first column after some well-deserved time off is easy to write. It’s the second one that is a bitch. Just as the bombardment of my neighborhood finally comes to a close this holiday weekend, I figure I better get back into the swing of things before I slip back into a deep Husker-induced sleep.

Anyhow, in order to better understand why I started to labor at finding anything relevant to talk about over this past off-season, I went back into the archives to see if there were any direct differences between my style of thoughts back then, and the way I present my ideas now. (If you have a chance to go through the archives, I’d recommend it. Not because I said anything spectacular, but the replies from many of the Husker freaks who visit this site are absolutely priceless. ‘Wake will win the ACC book it!?!?’ Are you kidding me?)

However a few things stood out to me as completely different. Foremost, I completely got off track and started writing for you rather than for me. Early editions of this blog were hate-filled, mean and almost evil. Somewhere along the way, I confused myself with Rick Riley and tried to get cute by trying to bring up topics in a way that hasn’t been done before. Well, the Huskers sucking donkey sack isn’t exactly new anymore, so there’s no use trying so damn hard to stand out.

Seriously…I even cut back on my swearing, just so some of you wouldn’t be offended. Well hell, it’s not my fault some of you liken blogs to actual mainstream sports news. I’ve said this before, but it is worth repeating: Blogging is nothing more than a journal for all the world to see. If you want fair and balanced reporting, where only Boston and New York teams still matter…watch ESPN. If you like to see farked pictures of Bob Stoops, then you go check out one of 50,000 blogs dedicated to the same subject I write about for the most part…college football. Some of them are even..dare I say...outstanding.

But regardless, my writing became boring to me because I stopped writing about what I care about, and started writing about what I thought you wanted to read. Well no offense, but if you want to read something…start your own damn blog. Don’t get me wrong though…I honestly appreciate each and every person…in good spirits or in anger…who stops by and hits this site. But in the end, blogging for your readers is silly, because there are simply so many ways to attack a subject. (Unless of course you want to name some lame award to college football programs named after a fat Tennessee coach, and then have 50 million people refer to it as some sort of gospel and 11th commandment that says…’Thou Shall never question EDSBS’. If that’s the case..then I can’t help you anyway.)

Anyway, as we move into the last 50 days of the off-season, I’m going to make it a point to stop trying to make some sort of philosophical statement, and simply throw down words off the top of my head. It will be easier on my soul, and odds are..it will make better reading anyway.

OK, glad we got that straight.

**
Here’s a subject I normally wouldn’t hit on lately, but it’s really got me somewhat pissed. It seems the ego-driven jackasses who run the city of Omaha, somehow forgot to tell the Omaha Royals that they had to rip up their sweetheart lease at Rosenblatt, and dip their pen in blood, and sign up to be Roger Dixon’s personal bitch for 10-15 years or whatever.

Anyway, I understand it was important to keep the College World Series. I understand, it’s the only reason ANYBODY from the outside world would even step foot in Omaha, let alone consider it some sort of destination for anything. (Don’t get me started on the lack of lakes and outdoor stuff to do here again. I went camping this weekend and I’m still fired up about it.) And yes, I see how the Mayor’s office had to do whatever it takes to keep the NCAA from pulling out early and leaving without so much as a wet-nap and a note.

Now granted, if this year’s College World Series is any indication, the NCAA baseball National Championship tournament will last the entire summer anyway. But do the leaders of this city actually think North Downtown will grow with only 16 nights of activity? (minus a couple of Creighton games…which lets face it…as long as there is something shiny and new..and as long as the beer isn’t domestic..they’ll be there in droves.) I mean, didn’t they realize the Royals might say, “Screw this circus” and pack up for Houston or Grand Island or wherever?

Don’t get me wrong..the Royals are not innocent victims here either. They’ve bitched and moaned for 10 years about (boo hoo) how they play in too big of a stadium, all the while sneaking in 17,000+ fans several times a year. (Double that of the largest crowds of most other PCL teams) They’re also the same out-of-town yokels who decided that baseball couldn’t sell itself in this town…instead wacky bat races and Blues Brothers imitators was the way to go.

Either way, you’ve got Idiot vs. Idiot in a battle over who is going to destroy this city fastest. You can either: a) Allow the Royals to stay…watch them go broke and listen to them bitch for another 10 years. Or b) Tell the Royals to kiss the city’s ass, and watch a $150 MILLION dollar stadium sit absolutely empty for about 320 days a year.

Which one is it?

Just when you thought everything was worked out, the dipshits who run this joint find a way to screw it up again. Should be interesting to see if/how they’re going to get out of this one.

**
I haven’t read Jason’s Peter’s book yet, but I plan to. I’m sure it will be hard-hitting…shocking (you mean those players DRANK ALCOHOL in school?) and will slobber on the knobs of Husker fans something fierce. However, I’ll hold judgment until I read the whole thing. Stay tuned on that.

**
Speaking of books, I may as tell you now before one of you yayhoos finds it. I was approached to contribute to a book on Husker football for the 2008 season. Now, I realize this sounds a bit odd; however the collaborators of this material somehow thought that there was enough flak caused by the 2007 season that they better at least address those who don’t exactly feel the world is full of Red-colored lollipops and sugarplum fairies.

So with that, I wrote a small couple of pages in rebuttal to my good friend Husker Mike on just why the ‘Greatest Fans in the Nation’ are a fraud and a joke. Now, I’ve only seen some advanced early PDF’s of the book, but I’m hoping they’ll keep my words in context and let me say my fair piece. Regardless, it’s not really that hard to rebut when somebody says, “Can you reply in your own words why Nebraska MAY NOT have the classiest fans in America?”

Uhhh..how much time you got?

Anyway, you can purchase the book on Amazon soon or some other local outlets. You can read a preview of it here.

I normally don’t advertise my collaborations with Husker writers, whether it be in blog or book form…however like I said: They were nice enough to ask me to contribute…and if you want to spend your hard-earned money on looking forward to a soon-to-be 4-8 Husker football team…be my guest. I’m guessing I won’t be buying 100 copies for my family, nor will I be appearing on any talk-shows talking about the blatantly obvious factors surrounding the world-class farce that is the whole “classiest fans” thing. But still, it’s nice to see you can go from jotting down some thoughts to being considered a “published author”…even if your real name isn’t anywhere close to the byline.

Still working on the previews…the off-season is coming to a close quickly. Better get your game face ready to go.

AJ

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No offense, but the obvious conclusion that doesn't quite seem to have dawned on you yet is that your blog became stale when the Huskers hit rock bottom.

Husker sports programs are a smoldering heap right now. Meanwhile, there is a growing army of newly emboldened Jayhawk fans that are annoying as hell--reminiscent of Husker fans of bygone years--that would be a lot better target.

Have you given any thought to being JayhawkH8er while the Huskers try to pick up the pieces? You're a great writer, but with the Huskers shattered you are clearly out of material.

Brad

2:50 AM  
Blogger Buffalo Phil said...

My favorite chapter -- and there are so many to choose from -- is, "Is Nebraska Unrivaled?"

The short answer of course is "Yes!"

How many CFB programs do you want me to name that blow yours away?

A.J. You are a light shining in the wilderness.

From a Colorado fan who shares your hatred.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you get that picture of a crying kid? I have never seen it. That is gold. Pure gold. The best thing about this blog is that you could repost something from 3 years ago and no one would no the difference.

5:24 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Brad, that's a godamn good observation. And you're right...with the Huskers a smoldering pile of shit on the sidewalk...I really have had to struggle to find material.

And yes...KU fans are very much WORSE than Husker fans in pretty much every single way. The only difference is...I don't live among them.

I GUARANTEE you..if I lived anywhere NEAR KC...you'd see Jayhawkh8er.com up in about 3 second.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ought to just make it temporary.

You write to share ideas, and right now everyone knows the Huskers suck. Furthermore, "the greatest fans on earth" have taken off their masks ever since their program fell back to earth in 2002. I just think everyone knows what their about.

On the other hand you have the Jayhawks, who with their national title in basketball and newfound football tradition, are every bit the annoying jackasses Husker fans used to be when they actually had something to feel good about in their dull state.

If I could write well, I'd do it myself. I can't though, so I hope you'll consider taking a break while the Huskers try to unbury themselves from underneath fifty feet of sh*t to go after the Jayhawks. They annoy the hell out of me and they are currently worse than they've ever been.

Brad

7:56 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Brad, you make excellent points. At times, I completely fail to aknowledge just what a bunch of jackasses KU fans are.

At the end of the season, I am re-evaluating my position and will take that into major consideration.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear that you'll consider it.

In a way, you are actually doing the Huskers a favor right now by acknowledging them as the rest of the world forgets they ever existed.

Seriously, their state is Nebraska. Without a good football program the rest of the world only realizes they exist once a year during the CWS.

You ought to just forget about them with the rest of us. If by some freakish miracle they actually manage to resurrect themselves you can always come back later.

Have a good night.

Brad

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By 're-evaluating my position', you're still in for doing a couple of lines of blow off the new Jason Peter's new book right? I've already got hookers lined up.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ: I suspect that fans like Brad who live in and around the annoying kU assholes are more sensitive to their obnoxious behavior than the rest of the world. Until the NE fans acknowledge their program is a smoldering heap, and cease ridiculous behavior like publishing a book about a coach with one game's experience or predicting a 10-2 season under said coach's first season as a head coach, their arrogance continues to exceed all bounds. I for one, hope that you will continue your observations on all things Husker. I also hope that the Big Red are undefeated when MU comes to town and that like last year, that defeat is the one that sends the season into a tailspin for the Husker faithful.

Glad you're back. 606

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Husker sports programs are a smoldering heap right now."

Compared to who? Missouri? Wow that obviously is a joke since Nebraska is at least competative in all sports whereas the Tigers suck at about everything other than football right now.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. The best part about your blog was the husker fans it pissed off. Now that reality has set in, they don't want to come out and play anymore. If the Quin Pelini experiment goes as bad as planned, you're not likely to have any opposition to your inflammatory remarks like you used to.

ku fan, however, provides you a much better target. No matter how bad you skull fuck them at football, they'll always Houdini the debate to basketball. After one season under the 117th easiest schedule in the country, expectations for gayhawk football are perched on a teeball stand right in front of you when you decide to pick up a bat and have at it.

By the way, miss you over at PM

-Steve

2:54 PM  
Blogger NE-Jhawk said...

Hell yeah! Bring the hate motherfucker!!!!

KU fan is annoying? Maybe. I'd love to debate it. And if anyone could do it justice, it would be AJ. The dude's a moron slaver...but he's got skillz.

Of course if anyone outside of Texas had the CHANCE to have a year like we just had...they'd be cocky assholes too!

As I like to ask my fellow CFB fans..."How's your non-revenue sport doing???"

6:08 PM  
Blogger jeffro144 said...

AJ,
you cant stop bashing the Nubs yet. As 606 said, only fans in the area know just how god awful Ku fans are. Although I'm sure you could get a years worth of stuff in easy, you need to stick with ol' bugeater u. They just dont know when to quit. They are so arogant and ignorant at the same time. Its freakin amazing. I need your blog like Peters needed the powder, like the 90's huskers needed the juice...like Dr. Tom needed criminals.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I agree. The best part about your blog was the husker fans it pissed off. Now that reality has set in, they don't want to come out and play anymore."

No, Husker fans aren't coming to this blog because it's boring. I came back to see AJ's "SUPER AW3SOM3 P0St" after his time off and all I could take away from it was "same old, same old".

AJ's a broken record. He's got zero new material. BORING.

[YAWN]

I will give you credit though, you are correct that the best thing about this blog was the Husker fans.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rambling crap.

AJ. Go take some additional vacation.

You really do not have your edge back yet.

GBR

7:12 PM  
Blogger A J said...

It's boring same old crap...yet you're still not just reading..but commenting.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ--

The classiest fans are back!

I don't know if you saw this or not, but thought it my duty as a loyal reader to make sure you knew about it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5880441.html

Have a great day.

Bob

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ, your blog reminds me of earlier today when I tried to take a shit at work but ended up just farting loudly into the empty bowl about 30 times.

Lots of fanfare but no substance.

Go back on vacation.

6:08 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Shit and fart comments? You guys can't do better than shit and fart comments?

Where the hell is JP? Where is Corn Ridden Shit guy?

Where the fuck did all the 1/2 smart readers go? Ugh...now I'm left with the douchebag Message board leftovers.

7:08 PM  
Blogger bornred said...

Well, if you'll settle for 1/4 smart, I still check in. The off-season sucks and yes, I realize that by saying that, I've opened the door for everyone to jump in with their 'not as much as the regular season for you Nubbies'.. blah, blah, blah. I'm okay with that.

Good to see the great Dr. Buffenstien and his loyal nurse, nebforcu are back. Let me grab a hanger and perform a self-lobotomy so I can try to understand what the fuck they are trying to say...

Randy

PS. AJ, glad you are back on the hmmm. not airwaves.. ummm.. netwaves?

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares