September 13, 2006

I'll take 'Things you should never say" for $400 Alex


God I love the Huskers.

Just when you think things are going smooth. Just when you think things are awful quiet during the week of a big game, you just knew something like this was going to happen. And it took only til Wednesday.

It seems that new Husker DB Andre Jones isn't real bright. Now, I'm not his Biology professor. I'm not his academic advisor. I have no idea what his class grades are....but this guy said one of the most idiotic things ever spouted in the history of man in today's Omaha World Herald. http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2241344 (Registration required...sorry..they suck)

"When we beat USC, this is going to slingshot our whole season," said the junior college transfer from Naples, Fla. "We're ready to go in there and show the world that Nebraska's back on top - that the order is restored."

So if you were 19 1/2 point underdogs, on the road and playing a team that has won 46 of 48 games...who has won two national titles in three years and played for a third last year...yet at the same time you struggled with Maine last season and lost to Kansas and Missouri by a combined 49 points...would YOU be dumb enough to guarantee victory?

I get it...he has nothing to lose. This goes back with what I wrote about yesterday. But seriously, who in their right mind would taunt USC? Has somebody told Mr. Jones that it's 2006? Has somebody told Mr. Jones that his head coach is 12-10 vs. Division 1 teams? Has somebody told Mr. Jones about a guy named Dewayne Jarrett?

This just goes to show that not only are Husker FANS guilty of buying the hype...but apparently Husker players are showing a tad bit of confidence. However, never ever confuse "confidence" with outright stupidity. I'll give him credit for having the sack to cause a stir....but I'm not really sure an overrated defensive backfield that was never that good anyway should be throwing down the gauntlet against ANYBODY...let alone a team that has won 2 titles in 3 years.

And to think I thought today was going to be boring?

Kudos to you Andre Jones You made my day.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little story to explain my point. I played in a game where the DE started the game by talking trash, and our TE kept his mouth shut and pounded him play after play. Finally about mid third quarter I started feeling bad for the DE. I came up to the line and told the DE if he shut up maybe the TE would take it easy on him the rest of the game. The DE didn't finish the game, he left with what I suspect was a broken rib.

Moral of the story, don't talk trash unless you can back it up.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Not many can back up the trash talk. Reffing hockey games, I laugh my ass off at players who skate around talking trash, they even talk trash to me... it's like-- come talk to me when you've played juniors and at least been good enough to be a benchwarmer on at a D-1 program.

2:00 PM  
Blogger usclarry said...

I Guarantee that a Pete Carroll Coached team will play every down and every play as if they are playing for a National Championship. The team does not trash talk, but lets it play on the field speak for them.

2:43 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Tee-dub..thanks. :)

JP ...I agree 100% with what you are saying on Pinkel. Not many coaches can take the talent of Brad Smith and only go .500 with him. With that being said, perhaps Chase Daniel fits with the mold that he has stubornly stuck wiht on offense. I don't know.

And yes...I agree on the fans part. The problem is, Nebraska fans have been spoiled and on a different plain for a long time.

4:22 PM  
Blogger A J said...

I gotta be me.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently Andre Jones was recruited by USC as well, maybe this was an opportunity to vent.

These are 19-23 year old kids out there playing. AJ has got to be a few years senior to these guys and listen to the comments he makes.

8:32 AM  
Blogger A J said...

It's true...I'm old.

:)

PS - Is it just me, or would this blog make a great message board? I gotta get on that.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Do your talking with your play-- not your mouth. If he's that pissed off about not being good enough to play at USC, then his only recourse is to prove them wrong... not shoot his mouth off.

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently, this kid was offered a full scholarship by USC as well, from what I understood is that it came down to playing time.

I wasn't aware of this, andmaybe someone else knows, but apparently he was a "highly" sought recruit out of the JUCO's.

Here's to the demise of Callahans undefeated season, and "restoring the odor", I mean "order". Carroll is going to be ahead of Callahan by about three months. My prediction is that Callahan starts bleeding from the ears about midway through the second quarter.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares