September 5, 2006

Tuesday Ramblings


Ahhhh Monday mornings....oh wait. Tuesday mornings....whatever:

A few Non-Husker related thoughts on the weekend:

- Lou Holtz scares me. I'm not kidding. That dude looks like something that is going to jump out from behind a door when I'm taking my kids trick or treating. Seriously...I know he was a good coach at Notre Dame and obviously knows his shit...but the guy is flat out creepy. His sunken eyes, creepy hair and flour covered wrinkly skin give me the creeps. Still way better than Trev Alberts though.

- How do Miami and Florida State have athletes that run around the field THAT fast, and yet still have quarterbacks who look like they're running a junior high team? That should be a warning to some of you around here who seem to think that QB and running back (or whatever stupid-ass position name you make up for them) are the only things that are important. The team speed of Miami and Florida State were blinding. Not even USC or Texas appeared to have that kind of rush on the ball for the full 4 quarters.

- I'm still scratching my head over the complete eggs that K-State and Colorado dropped this weekend. Yeah, I know you guys are breaking in new coaches and that Illinois State has some D1 talent, and Montana State isn't 1/2 bad. But Jeez guys...at least give me something here. 1/2 the fun of watching the Husker nation implode to you guys almost every year is the fact that they have such an inferiority complex over you guys all the time. Without that, you leave them to run free with their crazy predictions and untamed egos. Hopefully both teams can turn it around the week after they leave Columbia in October.

- Those of you in some parts of the country won't understand this...but can somebody....ANYBODY tell me why Omaha has the worst suburban road system on earth? Who the hell was stupid enough to build 500,000 middle income homes away from an interstate and any and all forms of dual-lane, multi-purpose roads? For those of you from or living in Omaha..have you ever been on Harrison, Q, Giles or any other West-East, 1-lane road at rush hour? Have you ever wondered why there is so much fucking grass on both sides of the road, yet nothing gets done? I have no problem sitting in traffic on the 405 when I'm in LA or I-95 when I'm in DC....but if it takes me 45 minutes to get to work because of Giles fucking road.....that's when I nearly blow a gasket. Oh well...at least the state got a nice big video board and oak lockers. SCOREBOARD US!!!!

- Tailgate 2006 and Fajita Fiesta is nearly here. Bus leaves at 12:30am. Some of my long-time readers will remember the fun and insanity of checking the blog early on Saturday morning, and see multiple voice posts throughout the night. Granted, this year will not bring the hate-filled venom of last year's game with Nebraska....but fun will be had by all. On tap this year, a record attendance of 14 and a special celebrity guest. Should be fun. Be sure to check Friday night during the overnight hours. This year's menu includes Steak and Chicken Fajitas, Spanish Rice, Beans, Salsa, Guac and a flowing river of cheese.

- Speaking of which....Mizzou and Ole Miss game should be fun to watch in person. Haven't been to a non-conference game in Columbia for quite sometime, so it will be nice to see a team from the SEC. Saw some of Ole Miss's game at a pizza parlor on Saturday afternoon. QB looked pretty talented, and offense showed some quickness. Should be a good matchup as to whether or not Brian Smith and the defense can slow him down. I just hope I'm not passed out by the time the game starts.

- Finally, a special sad farewell to Croc Hunter Steve Irwin who passed away in Australia yesterday. Many jokes and anecdotes have been passed along in the past few days, making fun of a dude who...well, quite frankly was easy to make fun of. (Who on Discovery Channel isn't?). Either way, it's still sad to see children lose a parent...even if that parent is famous. Granted, dying from a stingray isn't the way many people can see themselves going. (Neither is pulling the thing out of your beating heart, moments before dying) That's kinda like getting mauled to death by your cat after you change it's litter box. Nevertheless, the guy did bring awareness of wildlife conservation to millions of people. So for that, it is a sad thing. Hopefully somebody can pick up where he left off, and jump on some more gators for our amusement soon.











Tomorrow - Big 12 picks

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever reported seeing Lou Holtz and the actress who played Granny Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies in the same room together? Just curious.

JG

BTW, my buffs made me cry this weekend, and I don't appreciate it.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I met Holtz about three years ago at the Houston Airport in line for a Coke...nice guy, we talked football for about ten minutes.

2:13 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Dude..don't you live in Lincoln? Lincoln looks like Montana compared to west Omaha.

And of course I bitch about everything. It's my blog. Do you really want me to go on and on about how nice my new couch is? How bout how clean my garage got this weekend?

Come on man...careful what you wish for.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Hugh Akston said...

Everytime I go back to Omaha with my wife, I am amazed at how slow everything is and when things finally open up around 156th street (on Dodge at least - that is the worst example of traffic engineering I have ever seen. I have been with my wife for 14 years and they are still working on it!)the freakin Hickster's drive like they are taking their new John Deere out for a Sunday drive. Sloooow.

Don't mean to nit, but Ole Miss played on Sunday.

9:05 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Sunday, Saturday, Last Wednesday....you knew what I meant.

Damn critics.

;)

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congenstion in towns like Omaha and Lincoln are why are how I picked my profession. Had no intention of remaining in a large town once I graduated high school.

I get a big kick out of the people who moan and complain about where they live, but yet do nothing about it. Reminds me of my M-I-L, who complains about endlessly about her real estate taxes, but has yet to vote in any election.

Lou Holtz, good motivator, but agree, should not be seen in public for fear of scaring women and children.

9:31 AM  
Blogger A J said...

Traffic fucking sucks.

And have you ever tried to switch daycare providers? WAY more of a pain in the ass than traffic.

Concur on Lou Holtz

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daycare providers? What do you think my wife does all day, other than spend my money.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares