April 17, 2007

Back to Normal

Despite the tragic events in Virginia Monday, life does in fact go on. Please take some time out of your day to keep victims and their families in your thoughts and prayers.

With that being said, there is a considerable focus today on the media and their role in all of this. Some have sharply criticized the media in their efforts to sensationalize just about everything. Other's have defended them and others for simply doing their job, which is to report the news, entertain and attract viewers. In a former life, I myself was a journalism student, and have always found the role of the media in this country to be quite the fascinating subject.

On one hand, I understand they are in a business. I understand that Nancy Grace is on the air because people actually watch her. I understand that people actually tune into see what Geraldo, Greta, and Anderson Cooper have to say. The internet has created a difficult situation for journalists by increasing the amount of information that is available to people. Because of that, they must get creative, and battle for dwindling viewers. Unfortunately, that's where we are right now, and it's not going to change anytime soon. I'm comfortable with that, and if people want to get their news from Fat-ass Rosie O'Donnell weekday mornings...then they are certainly free to do so.

What I do find unacceptable is the immediate search for blame in all of this. Is it too much to ask that we let the police do their freaking jobs? Is it too much to ask to respect the privacy of the victims' families and give them...oh I don't know..A FULL DAY to grieve before we start the witch hunt? Unfortunately, this is about to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Regardless, that whole community is in my thoughts today on this horrible spot in American history.

* In case you haven't noticed, or you are brand new to this blog, I often write speaking directly to my core audience...Husker fans. However, I invite Husker fans to step aside for a moment as I address the countless other fans from countless other teams that tend to stop by here to witness what idiotic and myopic stunts you've tried to pull off this week. So with that....go ahead and take off, click the "x" in the corner and stop by in a couple of days.

For the rest of you now that they're gone....

Have any of you noticed an incredible spike of hysteria from these guys lately? Have they been swooping onto your local message boards like locusts, instantly spouting off and telling you how the season is already over, and they may as well award themselves another trophy for next year. (Perhaps one that actually exists this time?) I've been studying the behavior patterns of Husker fan, and I cannot recall a time in recent memory where Husker fans have been so aggressive in letting YOU know how great THEY are. Don't get me wrong...that goes on all the time...but very seldom to this degree at this time of year.

And it's not just one or two of them...it's ALL of them. Perhaps it's because they see this as their last chance? If you think about it, they're going to be rebuilding after J.C. leaves this season. Next year most likely won't see a whole lot of talent as upperclassmen, so this is pretty much it. Is it just me?

Here's an example of some of the ridiculous garbage being spilled out of their bong with the ashes, moldy water and chunks of green residue:

- Marlon Lucky will lead the Big 12 in rushing.
- NU's top 5 receivers are better than any single WR in the big 12
- Wake Forest sucks and their ACC title last year was a fluke.
- USC lost everybody and will fall apart in Lincoln
- Maurice Purify will suddenly start trying on every play and have 100 catches with 15 TD's.
- JC Keller could start for several NFL teams right now. (I actually read this)
- Despite last year's shitty defensive backfield, those same players will be back next year, and much much less shitty.

Please step back and look at some of these items again.

Why now? Why so much confidence? Why so much swagger?

It all goes back to the underlying reason this blog exists in the first place. And that concept is…you must recognize Husker fans in all their glory and greatness. And if you don’t, well then you’re just an idiot.

So all in all, what does it mean? Not a whole lot if you ask me. It’s spring. They just got done beating themselves 38-0, where everybody looked like an All-American, some 2nd string ex-ASU quarterback gave himself an A for a grade, and people are still in awe of the forward pass. I guess my one question in all of this is: If they’re this out of control now…what the hell are they going to be like in July?

God help us.

AJ

PS – RIP Martha J. You'll be missed.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I peeked but I was curious:

- Marlon Lucky will lead the Big 12 in rushing.

After the injury during the spring game we'll be lucky (pun not intended) to have him 100% by fall so leading the Big 12 is probably out.

- NU's top 5 receivers are better than any single WR in the big 12

Although the talent level is growing some, with recruits from both the high school and JC ranks, there are some WRs out there in the Big 12 better than our starting 5. However, one can argue since the Big 12 is not specifically known for its passing game/WRs one COULD say that our receiving unit is one of the better ones in the league.

- Wake Forest sucks and their ACC title last year was a fluke.

Wake Forest does not "suck" and they will be hosting us this year which makes for a somewhat difficult game. I do have to agree with the fact that their title was a fluke in that they battled Georgia Tech for the crown and not the normal powerhouses of Miami, FSU, Virgina Tech or even BC. Lets face it, the ACC had a down year in '06 and Wake took advantage.

- USC lost everybody and will fall apart in Lincoln

USC did lose everybody but with their program you just reload at the end of the year so it's still going to be a tough Trojan squad with an experienced QB to boot (again, pun not intended). Wishful thinking is that they do fall apart though :)

- Maurice Purify will suddenly start trying on every play and have 100 catches with 15 TD's.

He's going to be covered like a mother this season so those numbers might be a difficult goal. Again, wishful thinking.

- JC Keller could start for several NFL teams right now. (I actually read this)

On the surface I would disagree with this, but...have you seen some of the quarterbacks running the show for some teams? That's up for debate.

- Despite last year's shitty defensive backfield, those same players will be back next year, and much much less shitty.

One can only assume that with experience you can obtain knowledge and better execution from this. Could go either way really so we'll just have to see come game time.

Also, where do you go to conduct this "research" of Husker Fan and his behavioral patterns. I go to several Husker blogs on a frequent basis (including this one) and don't really see these statements matching up to what others are saying. Please enlighten me on your research practices for they intrigue me.

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got to remember AJ's intuition gave us, THUGS=HAPPY FANS. (I still can't type that without cracking a huge smile.) AJ, has also stated that many lower division teams could "hand" it to division one schools. also, AJ's perception is so finely tuned that he knew the ENTIRE nation was aware that TO had "sold" his soul for a national championship. Are you getting the picture Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous?

AJ, I'm sure that your invite to the "round" table of discussion on all things Husker is coming real soon.

To those Huskers fans that believe that a 38-0 Red/White game entitles us to a Big 12 Championship. Talk is cheap (like AJ's thoeries of TO=Huggins). (Remember the 38 points was scored on a Cosgrove defense, heck Kansas can do that with their backup quarterback.)

The WCO Huskers have yet to show consistentcy, ability to make adjustments, and compete against the best teams in the nation. I'll reserve judgement until they take the field and face an actual opponent. (Of course if AJ actually believes what he writes in regards to lower division schools handing it to division one schools, we won't have to listen to him complain about the Huskers putting Maryland School of the Blind on the schedule.)

I appreciate the opportunity to be entertained by a "burn".

10:36 AM  
Blogger TB said...

amen and amen. i mentioned the journalism in my blog, too. some of these reporters never step back and think "i wonder what i would have done, at the time, with the information available to me."

and i shit you not, some husker fan came to the k-state message board the other day and wrote a post titled "wow, huskers sure look good today" during the spring game!

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aj conducts his "research" in his mind while he is shoving his fist up his ass, or at least thats what i presume. i agree anonymous, i am a member of a few husker boards and blogs and have never seen any of these statements made. it is just aj, his fist, and his imagination. cheers.

12:08 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Of course you guys don't get it. I wasn't talking TO you, I was talking ABOUT you. Good lord, do I have to spell out everything to you?

I'm not expecting you to see this, because it's your external communication that is the problem. The fact that you're so appauled, or worried, or outraged or bored or whatever it is you do...is just predictable.

I don't expect you to get it. You're the person we're talking about. If I was asking you about it...I would ask you.

You'll also notice that BHG complains, bitches and moans more than anybody that reads this sight. (I still haven't read a reply of his in weeks). However, he also hits this site just about more than anybody else...so obviously either he's defending ALL husker fans....or he enjoys hearing bad things written about him.

Either way...the next concious effort he puts into a reply..will be his first in years.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My feelings are devistated that you don't read my responses, coming from a self-proclaimed accomplished college athlete, that hurts. Hey wait, if you don't read them, why would you think I haven't been putting forth a "concious" effort?

Would a concious effort be something similiar to THUGS=HAPPY FANS? or TO=HUGGINS?

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me tell you, if that guy (bhg) is here to be the knight in shining armor and defend all husker fans, then I am going to jump ship immediately. It makes no sense to constantly defend everything said on this blog, especially in the manner in which it is done. It has a lot of entertainment value, well written and often funny. Do I believe that you actually know all Husker fans to make a blanket statement that we are all inbred and crazy? Hell no, but that is what makes this entertaining. Take the opinion for what it is, a fucking opinion. Having said that, I do realize that a majority of husker fans bring it on themselves by saying all kinds of stupid shit.

There are reasonable and logical huskers (believe it or not) and most generally they are the ones who do not flood message boards on Spring Practice Saturday to talk about how good a senior transfer looked throwing against the back ups on one of the worst secondaries in the big 12... in a glorified practice. Some things I will just never understand...

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aj the spring game showed me nothing when I looked at it and thought about it. Well the huskers have a good team this year? FUCK YES.

Will they beat Wake and USC? Damn if I know. I am far from myopic and still a loyal fan, say what the hell you want about us Husker fans but not all and I will say most are not the way you portray them.

as always,

You can "Eat a mile of my corn ridden shit and kiss my husker loving ass."

7:29 PM  
Blogger A J said...

BHG, I feel bad for not reading your stuff. Really, I do. The fact is, you've been kind of a whiney bitch lately, and well....it's kind of sad. Perhaps you'll hop back in the saddle, and be able to get back to where you once were? Dunno. I hope you get your groove back soon.

Those other two anonymous posts were absolutely awesome. Please come back and post again.

OH OH OH...I almost forgot...I have a real special treat for you guys coming up. TRUST ME..you're going to love it. I'll announce it tomorrow.

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem is that when you talk ABOUT someone and have absolutely 0% of the facts straight then your just spouting BS and it needs to be corrected. Now if its humor your going for then fine, but don't pass off those comments as facts because otherwise its self-indulgent gossip. However, if you and the Mizzou/KSU/CU fans want to have your circle jerk saying "Ha ha ha ho ho, those Nebraskans are goofy 'cause they like football so much," then who am I to stop you.

7:59 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Wow, I didn't know I was writing for CNN.

I have my "facts", because I deal with you people every day. I listen to you on the radio. I put up with your shit at work. I see Dave Webber CRYING after a Husker game....I hear from you all when you win...hear your excuses when you lose.

I'm not bragging. I'm not reaching. I'm stating this as fact: I know more about your team than most of you. Not ALL of you...but most of you.

I'm going to prove that to you in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

8:01 PM  
Blogger A J said...

In light of recent events, I'm not going to publish a comment about going postal or anything of that nature.

Inappropriate and I'm not gonna publish it.

Your overall point is noted however.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Somebody needs to explain to me how 'J.C.' Keller could start for 'several NFL teams'... and yet, still be in a position battle with Joey fuckin' Ganz.

Am I'm missing the boat here? Ganz is rubbish, and thus by being in a position battle, so is Keller.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man that AJ is talented isn't he? (He doesn't even have to read a post to know if a concious effort was made. Is there no limit to this mans power?) We are all better for knowing him aren't we? (Kinda like the "people that know him" consider him an accomplished collegiate-athlete.)

What is it about being a self-proclaimed master of information? AJ, since you "talk" to people, how many THUGS do we have on the team to date? Any chance we could get sign some more THUGS? I'd really like to know, because I want to be a HAPPY FAN.

I apologize, I didn't realize that I was whining, I thought I was just making fun of the comments your were trying to pass off as an intellegent diatribe.

10:01 AM  
Blogger A J said...

You're here EVERY DAY.

Obviously, you're not too hurt by the whole thing.

Who cares.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares