Back to Normal
With that being said, there is a considerable focus today on the media and their role in all of this. Some have sharply criticized the media in their efforts to sensationalize just about everything. Other's have defended them and others for simply doing their job, which is to report the news, entertain and attract viewers. In a former life, I myself was a journalism student, and have always found the role of the media in this country to be quite the fascinating subject.
On one hand, I understand they are in a business. I understand that Nancy Grace is on the air because people actually watch her. I understand that people actually tune into see what Geraldo, Greta, and Anderson Cooper have to say. The internet has created a difficult situation for journalists by increasing the amount of information that is available to people. Because of that, they must get creative, and battle for dwindling viewers. Unfortunately, that's where we are right now, and it's not going to change anytime soon. I'm comfortable with that, and if people want to get their news from Fat-ass Rosie O'Donnell weekday mornings...then they are certainly free to do so.
What I do find unacceptable is the immediate search for blame in all of this. Is it too much to ask that we let the police do their freaking jobs? Is it too much to ask to respect the privacy of the victims' families and give them...oh I don't know..A FULL DAY to grieve before we start the witch hunt? Unfortunately, this is about to get a lot worse before it gets better.
Regardless, that whole community is in my thoughts today on this horrible spot in American history.
* In case you haven't noticed, or you are brand new to this blog, I often write speaking directly to my core audience...Husker fans. However, I invite Husker fans to step aside for a moment as I address the countless other fans from countless other teams that tend to stop by here to witness what idiotic and myopic stunts you've tried to pull off this week. So with that....go ahead and take off, click the "x" in the corner and stop by in a couple of days.
For the rest of you now that they're gone....
Have any of you noticed an incredible spike of hysteria from these guys lately? Have they been swooping onto your local message boards like locusts, instantly spouting off and telling you how the season is already over, and they may as well award themselves another trophy for next year. (Perhaps one that actually exists this time?) I've been studying the behavior patterns of Husker fan, and I cannot recall a time in recent memory where Husker fans have been so aggressive in letting YOU know how great THEY are. Don't get me wrong...that goes on all the time...but very seldom to this degree at this time of year.
And it's not just one or two of them...it's ALL of them. Perhaps it's because they see this as their last chance? If you think about it, they're going to be rebuilding after J.C. leaves this season. Next year most likely won't see a whole lot of talent as upperclassmen, so this is pretty much it. Is it just me?
Here's an example of some of the ridiculous garbage being spilled out of their bong with the ashes, moldy water and chunks of green residue:
- Marlon Lucky will lead the Big 12 in rushing.
- NU's top 5 receivers are better than any single WR in the big 12
- Wake Forest sucks and their ACC title last year was a fluke.
- USC lost everybody and will fall apart in Lincoln
- Maurice Purify will suddenly start trying on every play and have 100 catches with 15 TD's.
- JC Keller could start for several NFL teams right now. (I actually read this)
- Despite last year's shitty defensive backfield, those same players will be back next year, and much much less shitty.
Please step back and look at some of these items again.
Why now? Why so much confidence? Why so much swagger?
It all goes back to the underlying reason this blog exists in the first place. And that concept is…you must recognize Husker fans in all their glory and greatness. And if you don’t, well then you’re just an idiot.
So all in all, what does it mean? Not a whole lot if you ask me. It’s spring. They just got done beating themselves 38-0, where everybody looked like an All-American, some 2nd string ex-ASU quarterback gave himself an A for a grade, and people are still in awe of the forward pass. I guess my one question in all of this is: If they’re this out of control now…what the hell are they going to be like in July?
God help us.
PS – RIP Martha J. You'll be missed.