May 12, 2007

Mo Silence, Mo of the same

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hear that? Listen real close.

Nothing?

Well, I’d hardly say nothing, but it does speak volumes to who and what we are dealing with.

Enter the case of Mo Purify. A highly gifted wide receiver from the West Coast, who found is way to middle America to play football at a well-known university on the plains. In 2006 he had 34 catches for 640 yards and 7 touchdowns. Although appearing to take a play off from time to time, (And fumbling away any chance the Huskers had…which let’s face it wasn’t that much…to beat OU in the Big 12 title game) the 6’4 receiver dazzled normally forward-pass-ignorant fans in Memorial stadium with circus catches over a wide variety of defensive backs. As the year went on, Purify became the prime target of Zac Taylor, who was tasked to make the great failed Raider coach experiment work for the Husker nation.

Purify, who was actually named the Community College Association Student Athlete of the month once, was counted on to be a key cog in the Keller-Purify-Lucky combo that was to run rough shot over the Big 12 in 2007, and serve as a stepping stone to the full-scale domination of college football sure to follow later on in this decade. I don't know Maurice Purify. He might be an OK guy...not for me to decide.

But, in the tradition of all the Husker greats before him, Mo found a bit of trouble in the form of O Street on a Saturday night.

Now I’m not going to lie to you people. I”ve been to O Street more time than I can count in my lifetime. I’m not about to preach to you about how he shouldn’t have been out blah blah blah, because I myself have been slumped over a bus stop after drinking my weight in Elk-Creek water at Sandy’s. I’ve hung out at Iguana’s more times than I can remember, watching drunk coeds make out on the hood of the cars parked out front. (Always loved Iguanas) However, in all of those many trips to O-Street…even when I was a student athlete, I never felt the need to jump a fence, attack a bouncer, punch his girlfriend, put him in a choke hold and have four LPD officers drag me off into the night.

As you probably can guess…I’m not exactly shocked by all this. Let’s face it, the guy was from California, he was allegedly drunk, he may or may not have been provoked (the police report says he wasn’t). He got pissed off at a guy and he lost it. That’s all fine and good. People get into scrapes all the time; even athletes. But at what point is a “minor scrape” considered an embarrassing incident? I recall a Husker lineman cracking a Ralston firefighter over the head with a pool cue once. I recall Abdul Mohammad getting into a scrap or two in season. I recall Tagoa Fonoti (If I recall) got in trouble for making terroristic threats at a teacher. Hell, twice Huskers have been charged with assault while IN UNIFORM on the field. (Houston and Delome) All of those guys had their publicity. All of those guys had their punishment, and that was that.

But the Purify case is different.

Even in the most extreme cases of Husker players-gone-wild, I don’t recall the pure denial, the raw brushing aside, or even the flat-out jovial comments Husker fan has displayed since this has happened. Many Husker fans online and out and about, think of it as just another scrap. “Guys get in fights all the time. It’s not a big deal.”

So is it a big deal if a girl gets jacked in the face? Is it a big deal if he gets thrown in jail for a night? Hell, the only reason he’s not being charged with a felony, is because the bouncer wasn’t hurt. (I’m guessing Mo probably picked up a bottle or something to throw at the guy, and promptly fumbled it.) But either way, it happened in front of a huge crowd, while he was drunk..and to top all of THAT off..it took 4 Lincoln cops to take him down. (And DO NOT give me this “the LPD has it out for Husker players” bullshit, because ANYBODY else on earth gets tasered in that situation).

I’m not shocked by the silence coming from the Husker mountain fortress, nor am I surprised by Husker fans’ reaction that this isn’t that big of a deal. Purify is counted on to be JC Keller’s #1 target all season long. Purify is an NFL prospect; one that is the only thing standing between you and Franz Hardy. Purify is the guy with enough leaping ability and skill (When he tries), that he can break any game open on one single pass. Why shouldn’t you be scared to death of losing him? Who’s going to replace him? Terrance Nunn? That Pederson kid? And no offense..but you guys aren’t exactly the moral compass of college football and haven’t been, ever since Lawrence Phillips decided to climb up that gutter to get a piece of Scott Frost.

But it doesn’t stop with you all. Hardly any TV stations covered the incident. The Omaha World Herald had hardly 5 paragraphs on the situation. Even Husker beat-writer Steve Sipple has only thrown out a few details over the past few days. And the Husker Athletic Department and coaching staff?....... (Crickets chirping) I told you this before, and it still rings true now. Bill Callahan isn’t going to do a damn thing about this, and life will go on as normal. The charges will magically be “dropped”, Husker fan will reassure everyone that despite 200 witnesses, despite a small army of police who saw it all…it wasn’t a big deal.

Quite frankly, I don’t really care if he gets suspended…kicked off the team…or even gets a special banquet in his honor at a gala event hosted by Christen Peter and Richie Incognito. It’s completely irrelevant. It’s pretty bad when a serious incident like this is met with silence and indifference. Not because of the crime, but because we’ve ALL seen this time and time and time again. This isn’t anything new. If anything, some of you are actually happy that it happened, because it brings you one step closer to entering that time capsule to 1995.

Mo Purify hasn’t been found guilty of anything and may not ever get charged with anything. But despite the legal antics of George Achola and anybody else who gets involved in this quiet little mess, this will once again prove what the rest of us have known for years. You’re the poster children of everything that is wrong in college sports. Not because you’re any different than any other program…but because you think you are.

As Depeche Mode sang…Enjoy the silence.


23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so... during your "college athlete" days on O Street, you and the big bad intramural squad partied the night away after the big coed flag football championship? cheers to you, cheers to you.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. Maurice Purify didn't even lead the team in receptions last year. I say kick him off the team. The Huskers can win without him. (Check out some of Nate Swift's catches from last year and from the spring scrimmage...they rival any circus catch Purify has had.)

1:58 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Hey....I thought you were done posting here? Why on earth do you give a shit? Your lame, whiney attempt at whatever it is you're trying to do is pretty old.

Either stop whining like a bitch...or sack up and just don't come back. Seriously...I don't give a shit if you blather on here...but you're obviously very concerned about what I think...and appparently what I've done. (Which still makes me laugh)

I really don't fucking care..just stop being a such a pansy ass.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey AJ, I find it ironic that OHF is always the first to post a response.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your response would indicate that you do in fact "give a shit" about what i say and think about you. so "sack up" and tell us about your "college athlete" days. im very curious about your "athletic" background since you feel the need to point it out every other blog. anyone behind the anonymity of the internet can claim to be anything, and yes, you and your buddy "husker" mike and all your missery fans laugh as they know the "truth" behind the "college athlete" that is aj... well, i guess the joke's on me... haha... so aj when will we be getting this "college athlete aj" blog? hmmmm

5:59 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Actually...I think he may have a man-crush on me...but I'm very tolerant of other cultures and orientations. It's cool.

If I cared that much, I'd just block him. But I get a kick out of his hissy fits...so I let you guys in on it.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when did i ever say i was done posting here? i dont believe i ever did. and if i did, please prove it. also, i do not have a "mancrush" on you, i just want to better understand your hate. it is a sickness my man, a sickness.

GOOOOO BIIIIIIIIG REDDDDDD!!!!

FREE MO, HE IS INNOCENT!!!!

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're all a bunch of pansies.. I moved to California and don't have time to check this pathetic blog more than once in a blue moon.. Nice to see it's the same crap.
AJ, I used to kind of find you amusing, but it's pathetic you still have this thing going. Get a life.. Go play with your kids, screw your wife, find something outside to do, blog about Missery football. You'll never understand why Nebraska fans are who they are. I live in L.A. now and found a Husker watch site in Huntington Beach. None of the Husker fans out here have heard of you or your ilk (Husker Mike and all the other haters).. I wouldn't tell them your URL when they asked and I never will.
I bet you all can't wait for Husker Mike to plop out a few more kids, name them after Frank Solich and Doak Ostergaard and then post the little rug rats faces on his site. Eee gads.. What a bunch of losers!
Good riddance.. And check your stats and log files.. This IP address in Orange County won't show up again.

JP LMAO... Out!

8:48 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Soooo...you're from Orange County? You only mentioned you were from LA about 50 times. Why would you leave Nebraska though?

Have you met any movie stars? What's that Paris Hilton like? I've never met anybody who lives in LA before. If you're trying to impress me...IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you can start your own blog and tell us how you like living there? I'd be very interested in such a thing.

Thanks for stopping by!

PS - I miss JP. At least he was original and didn't try and impress me by where he lived.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You continue to be the king of mis-information. Fonoti never threatned anyone. You are thinking of another boy from Hawaii.

You hung out at Iguanas? That makes sense. Lemme ask you a question, how many pairs of Doc Martens do you own?

T

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You fucking moron.. I live in Fullerton and work in Long Beach so whoever that is in Irvine ain't me.. Dipshit.

JP

2:28 PM  
Blogger A J said...

First off, Iguanas was where the girls hung out. And they're not Doc's, they're Sketchers.

Second of all...JP lives in California now? I'm confused. I thought he said he wasn't coming back? What happened to the ad agency? Why would he leave Lincoln?

I thought we had a buddy thing going. How come Mike has you blocked out, yet I'm sad you're leaving and "never coming back."

Why can't you quit me?

PS - If you're not from Irvine, then I must be absolutely HUGE in Orange County, because I've had about 10 different IP's since yesterday.

Perhaps some of the other LA residents can write in and tell me how impressed I should be that JP lives in LA?

Oh and one last thing...who the hell still uses "ROFL"?

What are you? 13?

2:38 PM  
Blogger A J said...

I've thought about it..and I don't think that's JP. Why would he lose the Andy Capp icon?

It's a hoax and I'm not buying it.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chirp chirp go all the other LA posters

JP

10:42 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Ya know...you're not very good at this whole "I'm taking my ball and going home, never to return" act.

In fact...you're here more now that you said you were leaving.

Go figure.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chirp chirp

JA

12:28 PM  
Blogger A J said...

I'll state this again...

You can't quit me. Try as you might..you'll always be back.

PS - How do you know I'm not in LA?

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it's nice to see that Hucker football has returned to the lows of its glory years. It takes a real Nebraska football hero to hit a woman. The silence is almost as deafening as the gun in Uncle Tom's desk drawer. Sure let's wait for the legal process to work it's way out. That will be after the season is over. Please, that dog wont hunt herbie.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blaine Gabbert coming to Lincoln.. Too bad for you Mizzou

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You live in Omaha.. ya loser

JP

p.s. too bad about Missery's best prospect leaving the The Meth Lab State

12:20 AM  
Blogger A J said...

JP, you're a complete dumbass. I thought you were leaving? (Are you trying to make me defend Omaha?)

As for Gabbert..the kid is 17 years old. He hasn't even played his senior year of HIGH SCHOOL yet. You'll have to excuse me if I don't go apeshit over a kid that just hit puberty a few years ago to try and save my program.

Besides, unless he can cover Coffman and Rucker in the open field on 10/6, he isn't going to be much help for you for quite a while. Callahan will be gone in 2 years, and the whole thing will be a moot point.

PS - How's that Chris Brooks for Heisman campaign going these days?

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice try! I can hear you and Pinkel crying all the way out here

10:52 AM  
Blogger A J said...

He's a 17 year old HIGH SCHOOL JUNIOR. I know you guys are convinced that Sam Keller clones fall out of the sky..but that's a LOT of development and time away from ever seeing the field.

Chase Daniel is a Tiger for 2 more years. Callahan will be an assitant WR coach for the Chicago Blitz of the Arena League by the time.

"Nice try"?

Uhhhh....OK

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares