September 4, 2007

Back to Work - Tuesday Ramblings

Tuesday morning ramblings, as we're off and running in our pursuit to change NCAA regulations to crowning a National Champion based on home-cooked bashing an undersized WAC team full of underclassmen that resembled something out of Pop Warner.

One of the most ironic and funny things I've gotten in the 3 years I've done this blog, and the subsequent 20+ years I've lived here is the common misconception that the better Nebraska's football team is, the more miserable I become. This is completely insane because of a very simple component: The better your team becomes, the more myopic and out-of-control arrogant you become. That makes my job easier and allows readers from outside the state to better understand my mission here.

I did realize over the long weekend that I've been FAR to lenient on you people over the last couple of years. I must admit that the compassionate human in me felt a bit sorry for you over the past few years, as you suffered through 7-loss seasons and incomplete slant patterns on 4th and inches from the goal line. I mean, I might be angry...but I'm not a monster.

However, in just a 3 hour span, we've hopped back into the time machine, and are quickly reminded what life was like back when the anti-Husker movement began. As annoying and pompous as you are with a crappy team, you're 100x more so with any sort of success, no matter what the opponent, results or situation.

For you see, bashing a very good team isn't nearly as difficult as you think. Take for example the quickly returned Husker fan tradition of judging seasons and future games by 60 minutes worth of rushing statistics. This went away for a while, but thanks to a Nevada defensive unit that resembles the Pussycat Dolls, it's suddenly back. A couple of years ago, it was "All about the W". Today, you're by far the most talented team in the country because you are top ranked in rushing yards.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

With that being said...a few random thoughts from the weekend:

* For as much crap as Ron Prince and Mark Mangino get, they both tend to get the most out of their players. K-State's defense looked extremely salty, although Auburn is quite possibly the most overrated team on earth..especially on offense. However, that's got to be a huge confidence boost to his team. Same goes with Mangino. Sure they have a circus midget as a QB, but the fat man can flat out coach. Dude has an impossible job convincing good players to go to a school where absolutely nobody cares about football...but he's as scary of an opposing coach as anybody. Look what he did to the GRF last year.

* Unconfirmed reports that Bill Clownahan got a 3 year extension? Outstanding. Looks like I'm gonna have to put off that crock-pot class for another 3 years. Too much writing to do.

* I'm not quite ready to write off Texas just because of one home game. Despite evidence to the contrary around my office...the season can not be judged by just one game...whether you win big, lose big or otherwise. You're dealing with 18-22 year old kids...do you HONESTLY think Texas's 5-star guys are all that trilled playing against Arkansas State? Think Arkansas State's players aren't jacked to be taking on that orange steer on the helmets? Same for Appalachian State. Many of you completely underestimate the power of emotion, because you're not dealing with adults...you're dealing with young people who react to things differently than you or I.

People come up with the stupidest conclusions based on one game, which is generally decided by more by random multiple factors (like turnovers) than the mere final score and overall talent. If the Huskers opened with Troy last season, wouldn't many of you be saying the same stupid shit you are now? No questions. Team looks great. BCS here we come?

* Eat me Lee Barfknecht

* Lots of you angry little trolls are pissed that I pointed out that the Rival Star system must mean a whole lot because Illinois (who has back-to-back top 30 classes) is obviously (per you) not even close to as good of a team as Nevada. (Who has back to back 83+ ranked recruiting classes.) It's funny as hell to me when you get caught in your own little fantasy world. Why? Because the same rednecks who spray-paint their monitors white when Jeremy Crabtree gives some QB a 5th Star are the same people who point out that Nevada is obviously a damn quality program, and Illinois sucks donkey balls.

The truth is completely in the middle. Recruiting as a whole matters just fine. But individual performances and records have more to do with who you're playing and how you're coached. So what is it? Does Boise State suck too? (since they're often never ranked by Rivals to be in the top 50?) This just exposes your idiotic rants over rival stars and recruiting in general as just another product of bored people with nothing better to do than fantasize about being on a collegiate football team and brag about a giant crosswalk over I-80.

* BEL will once again be Pod casting on location from the Missouri vs. Nebraska game on 10/6. Look for details on how you can get my slurred voice updates from Columbia, along with beer-fueled analysis, interviews with scared Husker fans and live updates after the game. Starting from the midnight departure of the group all the way to the wild after-party at Harpos, don't miss a single installment. Trust me, it's entertaining if anything. (We tried to do it last year...and recorded 18 segments, but the company that Blogger used went under and they were lost.)
Gameweek continues.
(Photo credit of Ron Prince - KState Collegian)

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

youre just jealous blaine gabbert told missery no thanks. and yes i was pleased with the 5th star...

11:56 AM  
Blogger A J said...

Your boy had two HORRIBLE games to start his senior season by the way.

I'm sure you already knew that though.

12:29 PM  
Blogger A J said...

PS - He's not exactly playing against the best teams in the state either. FYI

12:29 PM  
Blogger A J said...

PS - He's not exactly playing against the best teams in the state either. FYI

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS - He's not exactly playing against the best teams in the state either. FYI

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can say that again. And you did.

JP

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

make excuses all you want, but having pinkel lose the best player in the state to his top rival doesnt look good for him... just saying.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's OK Tigers..you'll get better...good luck to you.

GBR

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

also, when is the message board going to be up and running? i hate having to wait for my posts to be approved, i want free reign.

1:19 PM  
Blogger A J said...

I'm working on the message board...hopefully by early October. I'd love to give you free reign...but some of your yay-hoo brethern like to threaten me and I can't prosecute them if I restrict it. (if I have the means) I haven't done so in a long time..but as soon as I take away the approval process..some guy will write in about how he's going to be in my bushes when I get home.

I approve almost everything...until I get the message board up, that's as good as it will get. Sorry.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aj how am I supposed to follow your football theory writing today without any capitalized words? your capitalized words are essential in my being able to understand which parts of your football theory writing you wish to emphasize most. i told you how much i liked them yesterday so i don't understand why you left them all out today in your newest football theory writing.

4:00 PM  
Blogger A J said...

You only have to POST IT ONCE.

Dumbass

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I re-watched the IL-MO game today and your defense is more putrid and soft than a Miller High Life/Taco Johns fueled shit. I mean Sam Keller (jesus christ) Marlon Lucky is going to look like Zhukov through western Germany come October 6th. Teat of mediocrity and all that...

GBR

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You missed the boat on Texas/Ark. State... Saying that Texas couldn't get up for this game is crap... Were those losses to K-State, A/M and the near loss to a crap Iowa team in the bowl motivation enough to start the season on the right foot? Isn't that what senior leadership is for? Sure plenty of kids running around, but what about those seniors that have been around the block a few times? That excuse is TIRED when it comes to big time programs laying eggs against allegedly inferior opponents.
Not a UT fan, but I get tired of hearing the same excuse... Either one team was overrated to begin with or the other was horribly underrated. Those 5-stars need to be just as jacked for every game, not just the big one. Best argument yet to not having polls until October... Give the little guy at least a shred of cred.

8:07 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Jesus, did that guy just throw out the Zucov card? ONLY I (capital letters) am allowed to make obsecure WW2 references on this blog. You've now crossed the line.

The Mizzou defense sucked for exactly 20 minutes. The first half, they beat the living shit out of that Williams kid (literally), and stopped Illinois for next to nothing. Even in the 4th quarter, when the Illini cut it to 3 with 12:00 to play, they didn't sniff the end zone again til the last play.

In 2003, I saw a HORRIBLE defense make Bill Whitamore look like YA Tittle and they then turned around and ass-pounded the hicks by 17.

I'm not sure I"d be puffing out my chest and making such idiotic statements...especially after your own team beat up on a pathetic WAC team with 66 (yes...66) underclassmen on it.

Have I mentioned the game is in Columbia?

Trust me...I'm tickled to death you think it's a shoe in. If the upcoming colon pounding to USC isn't going to be a warning sign...I can't help you.

Mizzou will be fine, and you still have no answer for Mike Rucker, "Booger" (take a moment to laugh like the idiot hicks you are) and Chase Coffman.

None.

Enjoy your letdown in North Carolina this week.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've written more on Zhukov than you have on white levi's, so I'll throw them out as I see fit. Perhaps you'd prefer I stick with obscure WWI references? Colon pounding hell. We probably lose, but the game is closer than our win in Como will be. Mark it down.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, please, stop referring to "Jesus." He prefers to be called Sam.

9:54 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Hey Patton...take a fuckin joke. Jesus...try and give you a left-handed compliment, and you get all "I write more than you" on me.

Who the hell cares. You should be happy I even know who the hell it was.

PS - Then again, it's not that hard to visit wikipedia. I could be a rocket scientist and lecutre you on the composition of atoms in the time it took you to read this.

By the way, if you think I'm out of line, why don't you go Karl Frank on me and lecture me on teh letter of early-mid 20th century law?

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man...you think I'm a husker fan on a husker hating website and I'm taking it seriously?! That was all said with tongue firmly in cheek. The only thing I've ever written on Zhukov was for a undergrad military history class. Peace.

GBR

11:06 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Point taken.

On here..ya never know what people are going to argue about.

Military history is my soft spot. I thought it was a good line. Hey, I might be evil and bitter, but I recognize when people pull out something funny and creative.

Thus my admiration for the corn-ridden shit guy. (and JP from time to time)

11:10 PM  
Blogger Husker4Yankees said...

Interesting blog. Just found it today. I take it you are a Mizzou fan. I will say that I give you credit for creativity. I also hope that the broad brush you paint with is done for effect. I mean, how do you define a 'Husker Fan'? Does everyone who follows and supports the team a 'Husker Fan' and, therefore, worthy of your derision? Is it possible for any 'Husker Fan' to be a rational human being--in your book?

I have been a Husker fan a long time and always expect Mizzou to be a tough game. The Tigers have almost always had the talent, but never the--I don't know --heart, mental ability, whatever...to put it all together. People heap on Pinkel, but this happened long before Pinkel was there.

I think this is going to be a fun season. I do not think any team, USC included, should feel secure. Certainly not after the atomic weapon that was dropped in Ann Arbor. There are certainly teams that look good. LSU, Oklahoma, and West Virginia rank there. There are teams I think are vastly better than the ESPN's gave them credit for, e.g. Colorado and K-State. And then there are the teams that were obviously overrated--Mostly Michigan, but Florida State looked horrible as well.

Amyway, I will be bookmarking this page. I think it might be fun to see how things go this year.

Make no mistake. I am a fan of the Huskers. I did my Undergrad and my Masters there. Even if the team were to be bad, I would still be there...yelling GO BIG RED. Hell, I was there in the Buck Beltzer days when people did not know we had a baseball team, yelling Go Big Red. So, I hope that you know your broad brush includes many people who know more than how many stars Marlon Lucky got from Rivals. Many people who grew up with Lyle Bremser. People who are not probably not all that different from you, but wear different colors.

3:39 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Mr. 4Yankees...thanks and welcome.

I think you'll find this blog isn't quite what you think it is. Well...except during football season, when it's exactly what you think it is.

PS - WHOA..JP..did you say you played for Prep in 82? Please tell me you didn't.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Husker4Yankees said...

Oh yea, two things.

1. Lee's Sunday article get under your skin? Not all puppy kisses and sunshine when you are expected to win big and win the North. I did not see the game, so I cannot say if his remarks are justified.

2. Hope you don't mind if I link to your blog. I find it funny and think others might as well.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to LNE. LNE played against Prep in 82 legion tournament.

I don't know Butchie instead. John from Cinncy reference for ya.

JP

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Husker4Yankees you think that's funny, have AJ explain his universal theory of THUGS=HAPPY FANS. (It's a blast.)

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares