Instant Analysis - JC and the Great Game Robbery
* Nice to see that Mo Purify wasn’t the only criminal on the field today. WTF was up with the non-call to end the game? Even the most die-hard kool-aid drinkers (and that’s pretty much all of you) need to realize that at the very least..even if that’s uncatchable…that’s holding. Absolutely horrible call..especially with that much time left, and an All-American kicker on the other sideline. Absolutely brutal.
* JC Keller is one more shitty game away from losing his “JC” status. Is it just me, or does it look like he’s out there on about 15 Mountain Dews? Does he always hop around like that in the pocket? Why does it take him 10 seconds to wind up? Very very very unimpressed by Keller. 2TD’s and 3INT’s so far? Sounds like Heisman material to me.
* You have officially forfeited ANY ability to crack on Gary Pinkel or ANY other coach in the nation as far as bad game management. 4th and 2 on the WF 40 yard line…their QB hasn’t thrown a clean pass all day and is visibly scared out of his mind…and you run OFF-TACKLE!?!?! Are you friggin kidding me? Does he realize there were still 2 minutes left? Does he know Wake has an All-American kicker? Does he realize that all Wake had to do…before the refs bent them over…was get about 30 yards, and it was at least tied? Was it that hard to trot the punter out there and make that kid go 90 yards with 1 time out? That guy made the Nevada QB look like Joe Montana. Horrible horrible horrible decision by the GRF.
* Wake is obviously a decent team, who has played in some big games. But with the complete and total absence of a quarterback with ANY sort of ability to throw a forward pass, you did everything you could to give away that game. Why even throw that ball to Bowman in the 4th? Why not call time out..walk over and hand it to him. Double covered?
* Your defensive front four was exposed badly today. Not sure if it was the misdirection..or the fact that they couldn’t believe Wake called the same end-around, fake-end-around and halfback five play over and over and over again..but they looked like crap.
All in all..a win is a win. Actually..I’m kinda glad you got over and pulled that one out..because had you lost..you’re looking at 3-2 (if you beat ISU) going into Columbia..and that would KILL the odds of an 8pm ESPN game. Despite what else happens today…I’d be a bit more concerned now that a real team (with real personnel issues) nearly beat you with their backups.
Good luck against that crappy West Covina Junior College next weekend.
Viva la Trojans