Why Didn't You Listen to Me???
Over the past couple weeks…actually since about mid-summer…I’ve been talking to you and about you. Now that the GRF™ experiment is officially over, let’s talk about me for a change.
I would now like to officially take credit for being right…on just about everything. In order for you to see a bit more clearly, I shall give you just some of the many examples of me knowing more about your team than you do. Once I lay this out for you, you’ll wonder why you ever doubted me.
- Bill Callahan had zero college head coaching experience. His one NFL job, he turned a Super Bowl team into a 4-12 disaster in ONE year. To top it off, he hired a defensive coordinator from a Big 10 school, who had never had one of his defenses rank in the top 40 nationally. Did you honestly think that this didn't matter?
- Rivals stars are a VERY SMALL part of the equation. You all got so excited, buying into the whole recruiting hype machine…you forgot to realize that somebody actually has to coach these kids. Also, somewhere along the way, you forgot that these kids actually had to play in a college game for their greatness to even get off the ground.
- The last three years were a fluke. Some of your biggest wins over the past five years included:
* A win at Colorado over a Buff team that quit on it’s coach.
* A win over a 5-loss Michigan team in a mid-level bowl they didn’t want to be at.
* A one point win at Texas A&M…a team that barely beat Army on the same field
* A 2 TD win at home against a Mizzou team that hasn’t won in Lincoln since 1978.
Meanwhile, you lost just about every single big game you played in last year. USC, Oklahoma, Auburn, Okie State and Texas. At what point, don’t you think your superior talent would have won…just one of those games? Did you realize also that Bill Callahan was 0-17 when trailing at the half? What does this tell you about your coaches? Just because you made a T-shirt and handed yourself a fictional trophy doesn’t mean anything.
- The West Coast offense will never work in college. Nobody runs it. The teams that do run it suck. Even Bill Walsh..the guy who invented it..failed miserably in college trying to run it. What makes you think you could have figured out how to do it?
- The national media was propping you up on name alone. Do you honestly think the ESPN talking heads of the world actually research your team? Or do they just assume you’ll be good because of what you used to be? Did any of them realize Marlon Lucky averaged 3.2 yards per carry last year over his last 8 games? Did they know JC Keller was 4-4 lifetime as a starter at the beginning of the year? Nobody did any research on you, because nobody gave a shit about you. They simply saw the rival stars..saw your slow march through a brutal Big 12 North …and just anointed you a top 15 ranking.
- You have no leadership. For some reason, most of you didn’t really care about the mental side of the game. This is especially important when you have coaches who treat players like an NFL franchise. When your players are calling their program an “organization”, you should know you have issues on the horizon.
* In catching the few minutes of the post-game call in show today, I heard all sorts of blame. Blame Peterson. Blame Callahan. Blame Solich. Blame the players. Do you know who the ONE person I didn’t hear getting blamed? Ironically, the one person who is most responsible for all of this in the first place.
It’s YOU…the fans.
YOU people are the ones who set ridiculously high expectations. YOU people are the ones who started celebrating your return to dominance LONG before you actually accomplished anything. It was you people who over-analyzed EVERYTHING and slathered on the pressure like Mark Mangino slathers on gravy on a Ham and cheese sandwich. Why didn’t you realize you were dealing with 18-22 year old kids? Why do you think they don’t feel that pressure? Could you live up to the pressure of being compared to 1995 day after day after day?
It was a plan doomed to fail…and now…just as I predicted…it has.
Zero congratulations to you for not listening to me for months. Had you done so, you probably wouldn’t be in the spot you are in today. You deserve this because you didn’t listen. You deserve the mocking snickers of other fans. You deserve the realization that you are easily one of the three worst teams in the whole conference. You deserve this simply because you needed a lesson to learn.
This should be an interesting week.