April 1, 2008

Mid Week Q & A

Well, the Husker baseball post ruffled a couple of random feathers, but nothing nearly productive enough for me to keep going on them. (Nor do I really care) Spring football is boring as hell if your coaches and players aren't going to get on TV and tell me how great you are going to be. (Or at least defend a guy for cracking a girl in the face. Man, I miss that). The city finally got together to approve the CWS stadium deal, but handed their house keys to a corrupt group of power-mongering boot lickers. The final four should have some great games...including Roy Williams putting the steel toe to the crotch of KU fan; although I'm not sure what else can be said here.

So with that, why not cover a bunch of questions that have been asked of me over the past few months to get us back in the spirit of college football? Some of these questions are off-hand remarks by friends or co-workers. Some are based on my comments section. Some are completely made up. Regardless, it's finally April, and it's either this or I start reviewing movies and restaurants.

---------------------------------------
Q) - God you're a prick. Only a real a-hole would actually root for the College World Series to leave Omaha.
A) - I never said I wanted the College World Series to leave. I said it would be FUNNY if the College World Series left Omaha, because it would be the ultimate instance of a group of people simply loving themselves to death. Even more funny would be the realization from the "Save Rosenblatt" idiots that they actually killed the one thing they were fighting so hard to save. I'm glad the city got the deal done, despite the fact that they sold their soul to Hal Daub.

Q) - Didn't you used to be a big hockey fan?
A) - I still enjoy hockey, but two things fucked it up. First is the NHL, who screwed themselves over so bad, they ended up on the same channel with lumberjack contests. Mind you, TV hockey blows...but still. How can you possibly expect people to follow your sport on Versus? And the other person that has screwed things up is UNO head coach Mike Kemp. Coach, I think you're a great guy and I respect what you've done to build that program. But the team is going nowhere. Give somebody else a shot to break .500.

Q) - Your life is going to suck when your Tigers prove they're a fluke
A) - I'm not stupid enough to think that the old Mizzou curse won't strike back at any time. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how much talent they have coming back. It also doesn't take a brain surgeon to notice how much more talent they have than pretty much anybody in the Big 12 not named OU.

Q) - You're scared of Bo Pelini aren't you?
A) - If by "scared" you mean being unable to describe the antics of an unproven coach with zero experience, leading young men to the delight of fans who expect way way way too much of him...then yes. I'm terrified. (Don't forget the constant possibility of him going on a drunken binge on 'O' Street, or taking a swing at Mack Brown at midfield)

Q) - What do you think NU's record will be this year?
A) - It's way way way to early to even guess. (I hate it when teams get "better" and more highly regarded, simply because people start talking about them more.) However, if I had to go out on a limb, I'm leaning toward either 6-6 or 7-5. I realize many of you are looking for something a bit more apocalyptic, but San Jose is still San Jose, and Iowa State still plays in the Big 12 North. I guess you'll have to wait for my official preview in August. No matter what though...1997 aint getting any closer in the rearview mirror.

Q) - You have to admit, Doc Sadler is doing a great job at Nebraska.
A) - I don't have to admit jack. However, he does not suck as much as Barry Collier. I guess you have that going for you.

Q) - We know you hate the Huskers, and you apparently hate Kansas too. Who do you hate next?
A) - The Charlotte Bobcats. Fucking hate em. Hate em with a passion.

Q) - What other blogs do you read?
A) - I actually enjoy quite a few of the Husker blogs. (here), (here) and (here). Oh sure, the Kool-Aid starts dripping down your screen after about 30 seconds, but at least they're entertaining for the most part. I also like Black hearts and gold pants. Iowa people aren't talented..but they are funny. My favorite non-football blog is a tie between Rany on the Royals and KC Star columnist Joe Posnanski. Both are great writers, but they both tend to be a bit too Pollyanna for me. (And if you're writing out reasons why the Royals will win the World Series...I think that qualifies.)

Q) - What blogs do you dislike?
A) - I respect anyone who writes for the love of writing...but Every Day Should be Saturday is the most overrated one out there. And no, it's not because they made up some fictional point system that is a blatant and shameless ripoff of the scoreboard at badjocks.com. Just something about farked pictures and photoshops that are incredibly lame to me. I don't mind them from time to time, but to base 500 posts a year off of them (mixed with a whole lot of forced humor), and you jump the shark pretty damn quick.

Q) Who will be the surprise team in the Big 12 this year?
A) I don't know if they'll be a surprise, but Texas Tech is absolutely LOADED this year. (And oh yeah..they were pretty good last year too.). Mike Leach will screw it up somehow, but you've got to think the Raiders are about due for a breakout season.

Q) Ha! Did you really go to a Jewel concert last week.
A) I did, but I not only earned some fantastic brownie points from the wife for getting front row seats, but I also sat 10 feet from Jewel's monsterous rack in a tight tank-top for nearly 90 minutes. I'll surround myself with 30-something chicks and folk music for that trade off any day.

(Next week - Finally...a new list)
AJ

PS - **LATE EDIT**

To the guy who said I didn't get any good Jewel pics from 10 feet away. I'm a lot of things..but I'm not a liar.
























18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damnit.. that close to Jewell's monstrous rack and no photos? Even a weak-ass, grainy, cell phone photo would have done.. Huskers go.. [puff, puff] 9-3 this year.. [cough, cough]....

In all seriousness, I would take 6-6 as long as they played hard. No shame in getting beat by better teams, but beating yourself by not showing up for 60 minutes is hard to watch

9:52 PM  
Blogger Husker Mike said...

Say no more about Jewel... I've sat through Garth Brooks (actually an entertaining show, even if the music sucked) and Mark Chesnutt (now THAT was a HORRIBLE show) to get brownie points. So Jewel's rack is the icing on that cake...as long as the Missus doesn't read that comment...

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be fair, I wasn't calling you a liar (c'mon, why would anyone that's not a 13 year old girl claim to have gone to see Jewel if they didn't), I just thought you might want to share some of the positives of that experience. Appreciate the updated pics.. I've only seen headshots of her before... she is definitely a candidate for some weight induced back pain from that pair

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First the USC song girls and now Jewel... I might not always agree with your opinions, A.J., but you do a damn fine job of putting up some satisfying pictures!

1:36 AM  
Blogger A J said...

Let the record show..the middle one (with the wrong date) is actually from last Wednesday. In my wife's haste to get the picture by turning on the black and white setting, she hit the date button, which hasn't been used since we got the camera. (I hate the date button).

Again, you have my word those are legit.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q: Do I think its weird that I ask myself questions on my blog?

A: Heck no. I'm a self righteous jerk.

12:07 PM  
Blogger NE-Jhawk said...

Inside joke with my friends and I in college....

Whenever someone mentions Jewel (in person or on TV), someone else was required to say, "You know she was raised in a log cabin in Alaska by her mom?" Somone else was then required to chime in, "She's such a strong woman."

If you were alive in the year 1998...you should get it.

5:25 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Oh I get it. I also get she looks pretty damn good in a tight white tank top at close range.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon, AJ get real! Mack Brown ain't old enough to become one of Bo's targets.

Gotta be at least 67-68, before Bo'll sack up, scream at you and beg you to thrown down with him!

Now Warren Buffet IS in that target age group.....

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long time reader, first time commenter. I am from North Central Kansas and share the same hatred of Nebraska Football. I grew up always watching the news and the top story was something on the football team, even in the off season. It would be amazing what Nebraska would have without football. I heard a guy on a local station the other day say that Nebraska was going to be back toward a national championship this year and busted out laughing. I can only say this definitely ain't the 90's anymore.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pics of Jewell and her beautiful rack...I don't know about you but I am tired of hearing all the jay-squawk fans talking about how they still hate Roy and how he lied. 1. Of course he will say No to a new school right after the national championship game. 2. It's been five frickin' years already, get over it.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanna know how I know you're gay?

You went and saw Jewell.

11:52 AM  
Blogger A J said...

OK, 1) apparently you aren't married. And 2) Did you not click on the pictures?

What the hell is wrong with you?

2:12 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Chuckle...yeah.

Go Wayne.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beaker fan said...
It would be amazing what Nebraska would have without football.

Well, pretty much the same thing Kansas would have without basketball, Mr. Black Pot

Dude, you're from Kansas.... Kansas... we're talking 'bout Kansas, man... Kansas.. it's Kansas... we're talking 'bout Kansas, right now?

Sincerely,

Allen Iverson

PS. Why bother to mention North Central Kansas... as if it's somehow more metropolitan... Now that's some funny shit, thanks for making my day

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice rack. Does she still have a mouthful of chiclets?

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So here's some news from Huskerland. I was on a blog the otherday and realised that this dude spends as much time writing about nebraska football as people spend watching it and loving it. What does your wife think of your childish posts? Is your anger so deep that you constantly have to bring down an entire sport culture. I just find it funny. My opinion is just as biased as yours, and you have every right to say it.I also wanted to say that.... you need to get an F-ing life you silly D-bag. Jewel sucks. Real men see real concerts. And you most likely think your the hardest guy in omaha. Hows that for a biased comment

12:56 AM  
Blogger A J said...

Oh please, stop, no, I beg you..please don't bash jewel. (this is me rolling my eyes at you).

I've done this blog for four years, and that's the worst attempt at slamming me I've ever seen. I mean, that's horrible. "Your wife must hate you, but you have a right to your opinion."

Huh?

You're on my blog...in April...at 1am.

Ummm....Ok.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares