The Final Road Home
Luckily for all of us, Husker fan has used this time to find a late-season burst of energy, parlaying a 10 point home win over a 5 loss team, and a road thrashing of a team that has completely packed it in to one step closer to order finally restored. Seriously thought, I’m kinda glad the swagger is back and the myopia increased as we get toward the final death of this blog. It kind of takes me back to days gone by you know?...back to days were newscasts dedicated 25 minutes of local coverage to a non-conference game against New Mexico State and pompus optimism dripped from the sky like rain.
So thank you Husker fans, for giving me one last reason to remember why I hate your guts so much. Actually..thanks to the KU, Colorado and KSU football programs for stinking it up, allowing your bloated gullets to float you to the top of an ocean of mediocrity.
Speaking of Colorado, nice to see this little spike of Husker pride has nudged Buffalo fans out of their late-season slumber, and back into the ring of hatred, prior to their visit to hick town on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Although I mock Husker fans with having no true natural rival, and Colorado fans for oftentimes being ambivalent toward their own team…your genuine dislike toward each other is to be commended. Seriously, the CU-NU game was always one of my favorites, because as you recall, it was Darian Hagan and company’s destruction of Tom Osborne’s team back in 1989 that truly started me down the path of Husker hatred.
CU fans also hold a special place in my heart, because like myself and my fan base…they hold a special streak of hooliganism that borders on the unapproachable. Although many give CU fans a hard time due to their student’s often-times unruly behavior, I for one applaud their ability to mock authority, as well as the wide-spread notion that Husker fans should revered for their stupidity of walking into a hostile field and acting like they own the place.
So despite your underdog status, I stand behind my brothers from the foothills, as they prepare to march into the warren of the toothless, and drop kick Herbie Husker right between that big goofy ass grin of his.
Good luck to you.
Speaking of hate, very little in terms of hate between Missouri and Kansas being thrown around cyberspace this week. Granted, the game is still building in hype, the mere fact that this year’s game is but a mere scrimmage compared to last year’s collision of titans at Arrowhead. Perhaps KU fans are too busy making more t-shirts after their flimsy basketball title last season, that pitted the Squaks against a team that actually choked worse than they did.
Regardless, should be interesting to see what sort of hate and venom comes out of both camps in the coming weeks.
In the meantime, lots of folks asking my take on whom I’d like to see Missouri play in the Big 12 Championship game on 12/6. As you know, any self-respecting Mizzou fan would be kidding himself if he convinced you he wanted a piece of Texas or OU strictly for payback. Although beating either team on Missouri soil would be great, both teams are still ridiculously strong and play big games in their sleep. Either way, should UT or OU make it to Arrowhead…look for ether to be a double digit favorite…at least…despite a majority of black and gold filling the ice cold home of the Kansas City Chiefs.
So with that in mind, I’ll let you guess whom I’m pulling for in the upcoming Tech vs. OU elimination game this weekend. I will drop you a hint by reminding you that Missouri beat Tech 41-10 last season. We shall leave it at that.
Finally, as we wind the blog down next week, we’ll be taking a look back at the gigantic death spiral that is the demise of the Husker football program. In the coming days, please feel free to drop me a line and let me know what some of your favorite moments of the past 6 years are in terms of Husker football. Whether it’s a particular player, incident or game…we’ll be taking a look back, and chronicling the exploits of how a team went from National Title contender…to barely better than Baylor in less than 2 presidential terms.
More to come on that after the weekend.
1) Missouri (9-2, 5-2) Idle – Mizzou wraps up a second straight north title by slapping around lowly Iowa State. Chase Coffman returns in time for the annual Border War with KU. The big question is...does KU fan still care?
2) Kansas (6-5, 3-4) Idle – I don’t care what you say Husker fans, beating KU at home doesn’t make you necessarily better, considering whom you’ve beaten and whom KU has played. Don’t get me wrong…I hate you both…but if you think you’d beat them either @ Lawrence or more than 5 out of 10 times..you’re crazy. Besides, it’s my blog. Screw you.
3) Colorado (5-6, 2-5) Idle – Same kinda deal here. WHO has Colorado lost to that Nebraska would have beaten? Florida State? Nope. Texas? Nope. Kansas @Lawrence? Nope. Missouri? Heh…no. Texas A&M at College Station? Nope. Vs. Oklahoma State? Nope. You can’t convince me for one second…playing the same schedule…you would be any better. You have your shot to prove me wrong. Go prove it.
4) Nebraska (7-4, 4-3) Idle – Western Michigan (MAC team) , San Jose State (WAC team) , NM State (WAC team) , Iowa State (Horrible), Baylor (They’re Baylor) and KSU (Flame to the finish). Worst opponent SOS % for wins in the whole conference. Enough said.
5) Kansas State (4-7, 1-6) vs. Iowa State – The Ron Prince era ends in a whimper this weekend at Manhattan. Now the real drama begins..will Count Bill-ula pull an Osborne and come out of retirement? We shall see.
6) Iowa State (2-9, 0-7) at Kansas State – Faint glimpses of hope are coming out of Ames…but nothing that could possibly help them now. Pull an upset against a toothless KSU team this weekend, and they could escape sole possession of the North basement…which isn’t a bad feat if you’re ISU.
1) Oklahoma (9-1, 5-1) vs. Texas Tech – Bob Stoops has lost like 2 games in Norman….ever. The media love affair with Texas Tech ends around 10pm on Saturday.
2) Texas Tech (10-0, 6-0) at Oklahoma – A nice season with a stunning upset of Texas (that shouldn’t have happened) and a solid thumping of an OSU team running out of gas. I’d LOVE to see Tech pull this out and head to KC…but it aint gonna happen.
3) Texas (10-1, 6-1) Idle – Unfortunately for UT, Oklahoma will parlay wins over Tech and OSU to hop of the Horns in the BCS. (Which will be the tiebreaker). Now it’s going to be up to the coaches and Harris Poll voters to put UT ahead of OU and send Texas into a black and gold cauldron against Mizzou. We’ll see how it plays out…but I really don’t want to see them in KC. I don’t have to tell you why.
4) Oklahoma State (9-2, 5-2) Idle – Texas rolled through their gauntlet without too much of a problem…but a less deep Okie State team seems to be running out of steam a bit earlier. Still an extremely solid team, look for the Pokes to head to San Diego over Mizzou when the bets are called.
5) Baylor (4-7, 2-5) Idle – October 31st, 2009…Nebraska’s blackshirts get rolled by a Baylor QB in a prototypical style that gives Bo Pelini defenses fits. You heard it here first.
6) Texas A&M (4-7, 2-5) Idle – Would you really be shocked if A&M punked Texas on Thanksgiving night? Yeah…I would be too. Aint gonna happen.