December 7, 2008

Ice Ice Baby

It sure is nice to get the feeling back in my fingers and toes.

Yes, I spent my evening in Kansas City, watching my team get ass-pounded on National TV, in sub freezing temperatures. Sure, I should have seen it coming…everybody saw it coming. However, I figured this being the last championship game in Kansas City for God knows how long..I owed it to myself and my favorite team to go check it out.

After a pleasant evening of college athletics, a few observations:

1) Stop saying, “Even the Huskers would have given OU a better game than that”. No, they wouldn’t have. Almost nobody would have. The only reason Texas did, was because they have the physical front-four to put pressure on Bradford. Nobody else does…and no, Florida won’t either. That team is steamrolling everyone, and nothing anybody can do will stop it.

2) Bradford is NOT a Heisman candidate in my eyes. You want to give a Heisman to Bradford? Fine, but give it to his offensive line. Those guys are the largest humans I”ve ever seen, and NOBODY got within 8 yards of Bradford. I could throw for 250 yards behind that line. They are unreal. Don't get me wrong, the Mizzou pass rush isn't too great, but I'm not even sure Bardford had to wash his uniform last night. It was one of the most amazing offensive line performances I've ever seen in person.

3) Bob Stoops is a great coach. He’s smart, he savvy and he’s a master of motivation. With that being said, he doesn’t graduate his players, he’s a crybaby jackass and one of the most unethical game commanders the world has seen since Idi Amin. Running it up, crying about calls when up 40 points...making up fake quotes about the opposing team or general douchebaggery makes Big Game Bob the single biggest asshole in sports, and that includes Tom Osborne. (So yes, I’m serious about this.) What a prick. Oh, and after spending 3 hours with Oklahoma's finest..I'm 100% sure I could write the exact same blog as this one...if given 23 years of hell in Oklahoma City. Great team...horrible people.

4) Missouri has a lot of weapons. Missouri has enough weapons to win a lot of games. But Missouri will never get past that “woe is us mentality” that has nagged them since the mid 80’s. Don’t get me wrong, they started to get over that hump last year, and the overall talent is there, but still, it finds a way to creep back into the conciousness of everyone involved. Don't get me wront though, I’ll take losing a Championship game ANY DAY over being relegated to 1pm on a Saturday with no TV. But make no mistake…they are held back by their own minds. Whether that is the coaches, captains or everyday players..I’m not sure.

5) Hey "Ruff-Neck" jackoffs: Just because you wear short sleaves, doesn't make you any less of a male cheerleader. Neither does shooting a gun every 10 minutes. It only makes you an armed male cheerleader with zero common sense.

And finally…one thing I do know is this:

I rip on Nebraska fans for being a 2 million strong band of hayseed inbreeds who spend their lives trying to convince you how great they are. However, in light of last night…I will give you people this one thing…at least you care.

Missouri lost before the game was even kicked off last night, because Missouri fans…for whatever reason still unclear, decided not to show up and support their team. Instead of packing Arrowhead to the brim with a 2 month head start on ticket purchases…they decided to either stay home on their warm couch, or sell their tickets to Oklahoma fans...who apparently had no problem with the cold, the transportation or the ability to find a babysitter. (Assuming their cross-eyed kids aren’t still out in the parking lot in the truck, which very well could have been the case.)

I’ve never claimed Missouri fans to be anything other than surly, but last night was the first time in a long time that I’ve actually been ashamed. I’m not sure the exact cause; perhaps it was the loss to KU and the rotten weather…but they showed the entire world that they…as one…are not ready to join the upper echelon of big-time programs in the country.

Blame it on a bad match up, a bad season or whatever you like…there is absolutely ZERO excuse for throwing up your hands and quitting. How can you expect your team to fight on against the odds if you can’t even find the time to show up yourself and support the team you claim to live and die with?

This goes against a lot of what I stand for, because God knows I can find enough reasons to hate Nebraska and their idiot fans. But I will say this…even if they were 45 point underdogs, those hayseeds would have found a way to swarm those tickets, and keep the 40,000 or so OU fans who did show up out of Arrowhead. I can handle the missed assignments, the horrible defense or Chase Daniel suddenly playing like a high school sophomore. But bitching about your team and then not supporting it…IN YOUR OWN STATE with a 2 month head start on tickets is absolutely 100% unacceptable.

The difference I guess is, at least we as Missouri fans don’t claim to be the greatest in the country…only the most downtrodden. Not too tough to lose that tag when you create such golden opportunities for failure, long before the game even kicks off.

However, despite the gross brutality of spirit shown by Missouri fans..or lack thereof in this case, it’s still hard to get down too much on the Tigers. They did win 9 games…possibly 10 with a match up against a mediocre Big 10 team in Texas later this month. It’s also pretty hard to complain too loud when you are throwing your hands up in despair, and you’re coming off back-to-back division titles.

Coming up this week, we’ll take a look back at this season, before we preview the bowls, and kiss the Husker hating movement goodbye. Until then, you can figure out new and exciting ways on how you’re going to spin the Gator Bowl being a titanic match up that combines speed, tradition and 9 combined losses.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Great team...horrible people."

I was at the game wearing a Husker hat. The OU fans are 10 times the fans that Mizzou fans are. I had one MU fan say something that was not an insult compared to 10 or 12 that hurled insults.

On the other side I probably had a dozen OU fans want to talk football and say positive things about what Nebraska did this year.

MU...mediocre team, horrible fans

And it wasn't that cold.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You dumb hillbillies sure got sodomized good on national TV by the okies. But look on the bright side. You were Big 12 North co-champions this season with your most talented team ever. That's a good season for you. Congrats!

Try to not embarrass the rest of the Big 12 like you did Saturday night and at least show up for the bowl game (that goes for the booger eating players and the buck-toothed fans).

8:04 PM  
Blogger A J said...

First of all, what kind of a fucking idiot spends 55 bucks to sit in the cold and watch two teams that beat his team's ass by a combined score of 114-45?

Yes, and I'm the stupid one. Congrats on being really really tough for not thinking it's cold. I'm really not shocked you love OU fans...although I run into more than enough of you idiots that tell me you can't stand em.

Regardless, I hope somebody pissed in your pocket while you and one of your OU "friends" waited in line for the mens room

PS - 52 to 17 isn't changing anytime soon.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to the "awesome" Mizzou fans not showing up tickets were below face value. $25 for upperlevel. And then after their stovepiping in the first half when 75% of the fans left we sat at club level for the second act of the prison yard beat down. Also, there weren't enough Mizzou fans at a game in their own backyard to have any lines in the restrooms.

P.S. 40-37 isn't changing anytime soon either.

8:35 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Agree 110%. Mizzou fans overall sucked...both in not showing up, and then in leaving before halftime.

And 40-37 is fine. I got no problem losing fair and square.

Talk shit away.

PS - You better start sweating basketball right about now. Not sure if you know this..but Quin is gone.

;)

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Basketball? Basketball is a sport for people that can tolerate losing. Basketball and baseball...two sports where you can lose 30% of your regular season games and still be crowned a champion.

Give me football...even if its two teams that beat my team by a combined 300 points.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I hate you AJ, I actually respect that you gave NU fans props for showing up.

The fact that you spoke the truth "softened" my stance on you a little bit. I don't want to get all mushy, but since you finally were truthful about the huskers, I'll quit hating you and your blog.

8:57 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Godamnit, don't respect me. What the hell do you think I'm writing all this crap for. (heh)

Actually, I call it like it is. Mizzou has had 2 (almost 2) pretty good seasons, and I think people forgot that I can be pretty impartial when it comes to them. Like I said, I've had them stomp on my heart pretty much my whole life, so it's not like I'm suddenly in the mindset that they can do no wrong.

And mr. bump..the basketball comment was not for you..it was for the KU comment next to yours. I'm not worried about NU's basketball team (nice game today) or their football team (nice game 52-17)...I simply know that basketball means 100x more to KU fan than it does anybody else.

Mizzou actually looked pretty damn good today on the hardwood, which means they're about due for a clunker any day now.

Oh, and I almost forgot..I really am pissed at Mizzou fans for not showing up to Arrowhead. That was an absoulute disgrace. Usually, I take pride in the fact that everybody hates us (as fans), but that was not the time to show teh world how hard-core you are by boycotting their own team.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I hate Chokelahoma and their rabid white-trash fan base, I shall relinquish this moment with 3 words...

SUCK IT TEXAS!

Enjoy the consolation bowl douchebags!

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's something we all can agree on. "Boomer Sooner" is the most annoying song ever.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boomer Sooner . . . Oh GAWD! I hear it in my sleep for weeks after the game. It truly is ridiculous how often they play it. It kinda loses it's effectiveness after awhile.

Touchdown-Play Boomer Sooner
Field Goal-Play Boomer Sooner
Saftey-Play Boomer Sooner
Big Play-Play Boomer Sooner
First Down-Play Boomer Sooner
Positive yardage-Play Boomer Sooner
Time Out-Play Boomer Sooner
End of Quarter-Play Boomer Sooner
Halftime-Play Boomer Sooner
Injury-Play Boomer Sooner
Fan Ejected-Play Boomer Sooner
Just went Pee-Play Boomer Sooner
Fresh Popcorn-Play Boomer Sooner
Stadium lights are on-Play Boomer Sooner
Gotta Big Date-Play Boomer Sooner
Just had sex with your mom-Play Boomer Sooner
Apples are delicious-Play Boomer Sooner

I suspect the suicide rate for Sooner band members has to be higher than for the rest of the population.

8:50 AM  
Blogger A J said...

Plus, OU's band has like 1,200 memembers. I thought Mizzou had a large band, but they were dwarfed.

As for the song..it was annoying, but I thought they'd play it more than they did. Maybe my ears were too frozen to hear it?

Couldn't get over the lame-ass Ruffnecks though. Dude, you're a male cheerleader..stop trying to be all bad ass.

What a bunch of asshole yokels.

Fuck em

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you people bashed me when I told it like it was.

Fucking Hillbillies

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, the OU fans hate the ruff-neks as much as everybody else does. They all in the same shitbox apartment complex and if you want to see something funny you should see their dates. It looks like they all arrived for an audition for the role of Dirty Sanchex.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ,

I feel for you! The "ass pounding" that Missouri got from OU was about the same as the one OU gave to the Huskers.

It hurts like hell I'm sure.

One of these days the B12 North will be stronger and will deal back some of the punishment they have been getting from the B12 South last few years. That is my hope anyway!

Gomer

12:55 PM  
Blogger rancidcrotchrot said...

I have to disagree with the boomer-sooner fight song being the most annoying. I went to the Florida vs Tennessee game this year, and Rocky Top has the Sooner song beat hands down in terms of hateability. Thankfully, Tennessee got absolutely ass-blasted, so we didn't have to hear it too often. But, I guarantee it's much more annoying than boomer sooner if nothing else for the fact that all the fans (try to) sing it, too.

P.S. Best quote from a Tennessee fan in the parking lot after that game: "I saw better defense at Pearl Harbor."

Sincerely,

rancidcrotchrot

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ, I'll miss reading this blog. Looks like you're ready to start a Soonerh8er's blog. I laughed my ass of reading this. You're the best.

Sooner Fan

7:45 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Heh thanks. Like I said, my team has it's share of yay-hoos...but some of ya'all are somthing else. I guess being good will do that to ya.

Fret not though...

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange game. Last year Mizzou went to half tied but looked scared, slow and ready to get run out of the building. This year they came out looking much better (to me, at least), but fail to convert a couple of times and put the ball on the ground and all of a sudden you're down 4 touchdowns and it's not even halftime. OU will do that to you.

The bowl lineup seems to shape up very well for the Big 12, maybe 5-2. Kansas and Mizzou both got good matchups and should roll. The two I worry about are OU (can you beat Florida and win a NC with a secondary like that?) and Nebraska. The ACC sucks, and Clemson with it, but I haven't quite bought into Cornhole Renaissance yet, seeing how their best win this year was at home against a KU team that played like shit.

Jacksonville might look familiar to you, Husker fans -- it's pretty much Oklahoma City with a beach. But enjoy it anyway.

11:12 AM  
Blogger daddyact said...

Yeah, Boomer Sooner can be almost as annoying as that stupid fanfare the USC Trojan band does every ten seconds: again, and again, and again, and again, and again ...

even when you can't understand why they're doing it.

Now that's more annoying than anything I've ever heard in any other stadium.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares