News, Notes and Things I Don't Have Comment On
Anyhow, there hasn’t been any new posts, because not one damn thing has happened this week to make me feel like writing. I certainly could throw out columns for the sake of writing, but my will is gone and my anger has simmered. Some of these non-items I'm not going to write about include:
* The cold. Yes, it’s cold….it’s winter. Buy a damn coat.
* The Heisman. Yes, ESPN sucks gigantic moose balls and yes Sam Bradford simply won the “Best QB on the Best team” award amid 60 minutes of hype seldom seen outside of Las Vegas. And yes, I could probably go on and on about how I could throw for 2,000 yards behind Oklahoma offensive line…but again: What’s the point? You know my take. I know my take. Again, not worth it.
* Your bowl game. You’re playing a 5-loss disappointment of a program in Clemson...in a shitty city and you’re still an underdog. Good lord, could this game be any more boring to the outside fan? The biggest story-line going into the game is…and I swear to God this is true: Both coaches have funny names. THIS is what the bowl system has come down to. I’ve dedicated a lot of time hating the Nebraska football program, and even I can’t find enough energy to even roll my eyes. Please oh please, make this thing be done with so we can go back to our Creighton basketball and our Grapefruit League baseball in a few weeks. (Of course, all of which leads up to the annual “Dig-us” festival known as the NU spring game after that.)
* Nebraska volleyball. Again, a quick look into the archives will tell you exactly what I think about this abomination of sport. Just because your team is good at it doesn’t make you great fans. I don’t care how good of athletes those girls are..(and they are great athletes)…it still doesn’t make it any more interesting to pretty much anyone but you.
* The Omaha downtown stadium is going to cost 150 million bucks, and is going to sit empty 50 weeks out of the year. Well, that is unless Roger Dixon finds an Independent League to play in the ballpark, which in case you haven’t seen an Independent League game, it’s a cross between fast-pitch softball and an NAIA scrimmage. If you’re willing to pay 6 bucks just to park to watch that brand of baseball…then you must love dizzy bat races way more than I do.
* The UNO Maverick hockey team. FINALLY, a team that hasn’t hit the bottom of the barrel before Christmas break. Granted, they’ve played absolutely nobody..but at least they’re beating the teams they should. Is it too little too late? Is it enough to win back over a disgruntled fan base? Who cares. I won’t be writing about it here
* Turner Gill. I’ve had several people ask me my take on Turner Gill getting screwed over by several football programs in light of his candidacy for head coach. My answer to that is: Have you ever thought maybe he’s an asshole? OK, he’s probably not…and for the most part, dude is a respectable man who does things the right way. But let’s get real here…he is coaching in Buffalo right now that nobody has paid attention to and spent his entire adult life before that being Tom Osborne’s personal piss boy in Lincoln. Would he make a great head coach somewhere? Maybe. But it’s going to take more than a 5 loss MAC team to impress me. (Like you’d be shocked if I said anything else?)
* And finally, many of you are bummed I’m sure about the lack of a power poll this week. Because this has been by far the most controversial portion of the blog over the past few years, I’d like to present to you a special year-end power poll dedicated just to Husker fans.
1 -11 Everybody else
That’s right…a guy who writes a Husker hating blog…who has spent 4 years and literally MILLIONS of words bashing your team…picked you LAST. Boy, I sure showed you guys. Man, that’s gotta sting.
(Yes, that’s sarcasm and yes, most have you take that thing way way way too seriously. Good Lord, get the hell over yourselves).
The slow walk to the gallows continues.