January 15, 2008

Bomopia Begins

Shortly after watching the worst Husker season in two generations, I got to thinking NOBODY would be stupid enough to start running their mouth anytime soon...yet back you come. Just as the cockroaches scuttled about a few thousand years after the dinosaurs checked out, Husker fan has slowly, steadily, taken a few steps out from under his rock.

Apparently all it took was a red sweater at halftime of a basketball game, and a local kid throwing on a Husker hat in front of a bunch of TV cameras to get some NU fans right back into the National Championship discussion.

Wouldn't you at least think you'd sit through the spring game to see if the guy even knows how to call plays? I'm all for cautious optimism...I've lived on that for most of my life...but is it that hard to ask for a little restraint? That's all I'm asking. Actually, it isn't. The quicker you get back to normal, the quicker I can call you out for being the arrogant pricks that you are..and the world will continue spinning.

In the meantime..a few hot button items of the day:

* Big discussion going on in town today is the shakeup of the committee that has been tasked to find a spot to build Omaha's new baseball stadium. "What's that got to do with the Huskers?" you ask? Well nothing..but for those of you who have been around here for a while, you'll know that after the Huskers, my biggest pet peeve in life is the notion that the College World Series is the greatest amateur sports spectacular on earth.

Truth be told, it's a great event and it should be saved. People in this city would lose their minds (until early September at least) if it packed up and moved elsewhere. (How on earth would they get to hold frat parties on public property if it left? Not to mention the cool $400 bucks local residents earn letting douchebags from Louisiana park their RV's in their front yard.)

With that in mind, enter the good-old fashioned combination of political bureaucracy mixed with a nuclear sized dose of bad judgement and an unbridled overabundance of civic arrogance by constituents. Throw this together, you get a recipe for disaster.

As I've noted many a summer on this blog and in other places...if any of you hold public office...(I just spit diet Pepsi out of my nose..that was a good one), you better do whatever you can to get this thing done. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that any politician left in office after a 55+ year event scoots town is going to have a tough time getting re-elected for his or her following term.
Oh well. No matter what happens, it should get people in this town scrambling and bitching...two things that are very good for the anti-Husker blogging business.

* In case you were wondering, Guns and Roses is the greatest rock and roll band of my generation. Hands down. It's not even close. You can't convince me otherwise.

* Is technology going backwards? It's bad enough my $2,500 HD television has a set of $12 rabbit ears on it to pick up over the air signals...but now there's this. I may have been dreaming things...but I'm pretty sure the forecast yesterday for Thursday said, "20% chance of flurries."

Tonight..."90% chance of heavy snow. 4-7 inches expected."

Yes, I know everybody bitches about it. Yes, I know there is absolutely nothing on earth you can do about it. Yes, I know it's difficult to forecast. But I'm just asking for a BALLPARK figure. I mean hell, even if you have to throw up your arms and go, "Shit Rob and Julie, I have no fucking idea what it's going to do"...I would be happy with that.

Of course the official BEL weather center forecast is for a dusting of snow, and the sudden appearance of the "dry slot" to blow their chicken little predictions out of the water.

* Yes, this is what we're boiling down to for entertainment on this blog: Weather smack and 20 year old rock bands.

* Finally, now that the conference season is underway, time to dust off the Billy Packer complaints and get back into college basketball.

Is it just me, or is the Big 12 in constant rewind in terms of college basketball? Sure, some of the teams rise and fall a bit, but in a sport where parody has held serve for decades, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Even without watching more than a couple games..I can tell you all you need to know about every team in one sentence. Ready?

Kansas: Great athletes, stomp bad teams, choke in the tourney.

Oklahoma: Poor man's Kansas

Texas Tech: Great at home, poor on the road.

Missouri: Same

Kansas State: Used to suck, then was good for a year, now they kinda suck.

Iowa State: Good back in the mid 90's.

Colorado: You mean Ricardo Patton was FINALLY fired?

Texas: Great stats, but for some reason every time I watch them, they get beat.

Texas A&M: I thought they sucked, but apparently they're good.

Okie State: Great home court advantage, but have underachieved since Reeves left town.

Baylor: Seriously...why?
**And in case you were wondering, here are my predictions:
Tourney teams = Kansas, Texas and Texas A&M
NIT bound = Oklahoma (sorry, you just lost your best player), Tech, K-State, Missouri, OSU.
Disband due to lack of attendance = Nebraska. (Seriously, did you guys even TRY last Saturday?)



Yeah, I hope things pick up soon too.

AJ

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger nate3580 said...

dude, I love your blog, yet kind of hate it. Mostly because I had visions of starting the same blog and ran across yours while researching for it. I moved here after college 4 years ago and disliked Nebraska until I had to live among the ignorant, obtuse, incompetent, sheep fuckers and now I just want to walk down the street and face punch ever fuck tard in a red bangwagon "NU use to be great and for some completely assinine reason why we will be relevant again" shirt of the year. Anyway, I just wanted to say 2 things. 1) I love your work 2)fuck nebraska fans

8:53 AM  
Blogger A J said...

Heh..thanks Nate.

Drop by anytime.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nebraska lost to CU in basketball last night. CU. Most CU students don't even know we HAVE a team!

On the plus side, their basketball team held CU to only 55 points -- 10 less than their football team did.

Go Buffs!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed on GnR, but what prompted the shoutout? I saw them in the bloated "Use Your Illusion" days, but they were still great.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ --

I hate your blog, yet kind of love it. Mostly because I had visions of starting the same blog for Mizzou fans. Every time I walk down the street I want punch a fucking Tiger fan in their stupid face. You guys were relevant once. Big buzz. Let's see if you can do it again now that NU has a coach who understands the college game. Anyway, I just wanted to say two things: 1) I hate your work and 2)fuck Missouri fans.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to ask something John. Exactly what does pellini coaching in college ball with unarguably great talent have to do with him being successful as a head coach? I'm not saying he won't be, but I see husker fans guaranteeing he's the next stoops. Gunther Cunningham was a damn fine DC but a complete failure as a HC.

12:31 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Thanks John.

Appreciate it.

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ --

You're always welcome. Tormenting you, if possible, is an activity break from the grinds of daily life. I don't necessarily look forward to it nor do I map my day around it, but ever since you lambasted my Sooners and Stoops, I feel obligated. It's like a mission from God. In the future, however, I will leave family and friends out of it. That, I know, was wrong and apologize.

Merlin --

I wouldn't compare Pelini to Stoops, but to Callahan. I don't think West Coast Bill's pro experience translated well to the college game. Pelini, on the other hand, has made the transition reasonably well. I suspect he'll elevate NU, just don't know how high. Can he match or surpass Mizzou's new found success? Possibly, but I think he'll need more talent than he currently has in Lincoln.

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares