July 29, 2007

Methods to the Madness

34 days to go.

Although this time does fly by a bit more quickly than say….June, we’ve got a lot to cover in the next month. Last year during this time, we looked at the top 10 losses in Nebraska football history. (Go check the Archives, August 2006). This year, I’m still undecided, although top 10 thugs is still a possibility. Anyhow, there a bunch of questions running through my head about the season. Before we get to the news of the day, a couple of housekeeping items.

1) For those of you bitching about my pick of Colorado as ’07 Big 12 North champs, a few things of note. First of all, what do you think the odds of me picking NU were? (I stick with my 6-6 prediction for them.) Secondly, you…me and the nearly 3,000 people a week who hit this blog (Thanks by the way) ALL know who I think will win the North. Again, I may be crazy, but I’m not stupid. I know damn well what expectations do to a fan of my favorite team..so for me to state PUBLICLY this early in the year is just plain dumb. I know what I’m doing. Thank you all for your concern though. It was either CU or K-State…and although I like what Ron Prince is doing out there to a degree…I think Hawkins and company have a better shot of coming out of nowhere to challenge for the title. So again, thanks for the concern, but if you want to make your own picks, put them in your comments or get your own damn blog.

2) As you may have noticed, we here at BEL are gearing up for yet another website redesign. The prototypes look pretty good, so I’m excited to get it out there. (Probably wait til right before the season though.) In the meantime, I need you guys to vote in the poll this week and let me know if you want the crying kid and the Zeppelin to stay. Some people like it..others don’t care. I just need to know whether or not to incorporate that little doucehbag into my future design. Your assistance is appreciated.

OK….stuff that matters.

* What would college football in July be without rumors? God I love rumors. I love internet speculation. I love trying to guess what is really going on. (Like 50 different readers giving me 50 different accounts of the Mo Purify incident. That was classic.) But sometimes, a rumor is just so stupid, you have to call it out for being what it is. (And no, I’m not talking about you IDIOT geeks and your wild speculation about Blaine Gabbert and his new job as recruiting coordinator for NU. How hard is it to exaggerate? Not very) Enter this week’s rumor du jour of the flirtation of either Missouri or Nebraska leaving the Big 12 for the Big 10.

Now, I’m not about to speculate what the hell is going through Steve Pederson’s mind, (He's probably too busy dreaming up a new made-up trophy to present yourselves after the Nevada game.) but from a fan perspective, this makes no sense. I’ll give you all credit that the Big 12 has completely screwed itself by letting the Texas schools run the show. However, there is a VERY good reason why each school would never make that jump.

For Nebraska, it would be football suicide. Do you HONESTLY think there is room for a THIRD arrogant fan base to go along with Michigan and Ohio State? I could see it now, Nebraska – Ohio State showdown t-shirts are probably already in the truck, as Husker fan dreams of knocking out Michigan to take the place of OSU’s newest rivals. Ummmm…no. If NU went to the Big 10, the’d be paired with Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern most likely. Man, nothing gets the fans more pumped up than a late November taking on Purdue. What the hell ever people. If Nebraska were to EVER bolt for the Big 10, it would only be that Order has never been “Restored”, and some idiot in Lincoln finally figured out that Nebraska isn’t even the most successful program in their own conference. If they moved to the Big 10…they’d be sitting behind four or five other programs…and that’s just stupid.

For Missouri, it’s a bit more complicated, but it all comes down to the battles with KU and K-State. Sure, they could play KU all the time as a non-conference team, but it really wouldn’t’ be the same. Perhaps I would think differently if I lived in St. Louis, but from this angle, the move just looks too risky to make. Besides, after 30 years of being in the toilet, is NOW the time to move? Doesn’t make sense to me.

* I see Mack Brown is now faced with dealing with a fairly good player in Sergio Kindle charged with DUI last night. Hmmmm…I wonder how a true “disciplinarian” like him will handle this situation? Should be interesting to watch, especially considering the “fair and balanced” sentence that a certain guy received from a certain ex-Raider coach. (“Cally is a true disciplinarian. Pffffffffft. You idiots)

* Finally, I need to tread lightly on this next subject, as not to piss some of you off unnecessarily. I realize some of you like recruiting A LOT. Obviously the internet has allowed some of you to follow 18 year old boys in new and exciting ways. (Wait..that sounded bad. I take it back.) And yes, I agree that it’s better to talk about college football in May than the Red Sox, the NBA playoffs or anything else that is boring and meaningless. But please…I BEG YOU..for the LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY…can we stop with the CONSTANT analysis of what these kids say and do? I can’t even imagine my ego if I was 17 years old, barely able to drive, and 5 million nerds with yellow foam corncobs on their heads were watching my every comment. From who I hung out with, to whom I text message.

It kind of reminds me of guys I played ball with when I was 13-14 years old. They were great athletes, they had everything going for them…but by the time they went through all the strains around them, including parents, college choices and the like..they just quit. I think some of you fail to realize just how young, stupid and fragile you are when you’re 17 or even 18 years old. To have an absolute fit over what some 17 year old did at a football camp 2,000 miles away…enough to actually BRAG to other adults about it? It’s completely insane. I’m not talking just normal insane anyway, I’m talking “why is Dancing with the Stars so popular” type batshit crazy.

Have any of you people looked at yourselves, after arguing with other grown men over the text messaging habits of an 17 year old kid? As you were writing that 79$ check to Rivals for the 4th year in a row, did you ever stop and think just what in the hell you are trying to accomplish? I didn’t even know what to have for lunch when I was 17, let alone where I was going to go and how I was going to get there. You idiots and your 5-star, 4-star, whatever-star bragging is just about the stupidest G*d damn thing I’ve ever heard…and I’ve heard you people throw out some whacked out stuff.

Who cares if we lost 5 games last year for only the 3rd time in 30 years? Who cares if our 4th year head coach only has a 68% win percentage? (Compared to what for Frank Solich?). Who cares if all you have is moral victories and choke jobs in your pocket..and YES you choked against Texas. TOM LEMMING says you are back, and that’s good enough for you.

If you can look in the mirror and actually base your actions on that sort of false hope? Then you’re a better fan than me. And isn’t that all you really want anyway?



(Thanks St.Louis Post-Dispatch for the picture of Harrison Beck)

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It kind of reminds me of guys I played ball with when I was 13-14 years old. They were great athletes, they had everything going for them…but by the time they went through all the strains around them, including parents, college choices and the like..they just quit."

The difference is, AJ, guys like me and you and the "great" athletes we competed with and against in high school were never good enough in the first place. Show me some examples of legitimate prospects from CA, FL, or TX quitting because of all the attention. You can't. Because that crap is nothing but myth propagated by a bunch of suburban white guys about marginally talented suburban white kids who can afford to go to college either way, so it really don't matter. And they weren't good enough anyhow, if they quit. I'll guarantee you that.

Try a new angle. Recruiting is what it is and it's been this way for a long time. Rivals.com only made clueless a-holes like HuskerDorkMike and BigRedFraudFred aware of something going on around them.

Come on now. You're not that dumb.

JP

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ have some compassion on the Husker fan man!! You got to remember they have sold their soul 4 years ago for an NFL reject who gave them 5 losses a year and an UNRANKED team. They are desperate for SOMETHING to be talking about, even if it IS what kind of cereal Gabbert has for breakfast each morning. You should be a little more sympathetic dude.

10:47 AM  
Blogger A J said...

JP - I get what you're saying. But still...it's getting to a point where recruiting is getting nearly as much attention as the games themselves.

Don't get me wrong..if somebody wants to give Rivals 240 bucks a year or whatever it is to have "inside information", that's fine. but at what point do you realize just how muhc of a crapshoot it really is?

Just boggles my mind.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Husker Mike said...

Nebraska's best offensive lineman: Matt Slauson

Rivals Star Ranking: 0 stars.

Other offensive linemen in that 2005 class:
Craig Roark: 3 stars. No longer with program.
Rodney Picou: 4 stars. No longer with program.

1:23 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Best player in Missouri history, Brad Smith = 0 stars

Current 3rd string QB for Mizzou Chase Patton = 4 stars.


You really never know.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so "husker" mike, i have a question for you. would you rather nebraska just quit recruiting and yield a walk on program only? just curious.

ps- you disgust me that you even claim the huskers as your team, and no im not basing it off your last comment, just the crap you have written before and your shitty blog.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6-6? No bowl game? I can see it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Huskers lose to Nevada. Nevada is a lot tougher than Maine.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better do your homework, Husker Mike.

Matt Slauson was a three-star according to Rivals.com and he was ranked as the 45th best offensive tackle in the 2004 class out of Colorado Springs (CO) Air Academy.

Try again dumbass!

JP

3:40 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Whoa..OHF is back.

Bring on the parade.

PS - I said NU would finish 6-6 AND make a bowl game. You hicks travel way too well for the Houston Bowl to leave you out.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I think most people understand that the rating given by a recruiting service is based on "potential". There are numerous factors that go into whether an individual player will actually rise to that level or not (coaches (not necessarily the HC), system, injuries, mix of other players, team chemistry, etc), but the reasons that these kids are given these ratings is based on enough factors that parallel what coaches are looking for that they have relevance. What coach wouldn't want to pull as many 4 and 5 stars in as possible (as long as they also have some of the intangibles that a coach is looking for) and then fill in with guys that are more raw and can be developed? And so, what fans wouldn't want that for their team?

I look at the people that are either at the far left (recruiting is everything) and right (recruiting doesn't mean shit) of the recruiting issue as equally idiotic.

Randy

5:00 PM  
Blogger Husker Mike said...

OHF: Of course not. Nebraska needs to recruit, and recruit well. Recruiting is the first step towards building a great program.

I just think that recruiting is something that is the business of players, their families, and the coaching staff. It's the publicity surrounding recruiting that I dislike. I've called it an obsession, and it's damaging college athletics.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Husker Mike said...

Read it and weep. Matt Slauson...0 stars at rivals.com

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HuskerDork says it's damaging athletics. Does he have examples? Come on Dork.. Give us something other than just your pathetic worries about recruiting "damaging" athletics. Or are you talking about the recruiting at Creighton Prep high school? You know, the recruiting that's been going on since 1960. How has it damaged them? How has it damaged Nebraska?

Do us all a favor and just stick to making inaccurate statements about individual recruits and the direction of the NU program. It's what you do best.

JP

11:23 PM  
Blogger A J said...

What a great world we live in, where I set up a website devoted to hating you guys..and yet you all fight with each other.

:)

I don't want you to stop..I just find it irnoic.

PS - I side with Mike on this one, although JP still cracks me up. What's the "eat my corn laced shit" guy think of all this?

Love that guy.

8:04 AM  
Blogger TB said...

JP...did you just compare Creighton Prep recruiting middle school kids to Division I athletics?

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You read it and weep.. Matt Slauson was a three star when he verbally committed to Air Force and had an offer from Oregon.

Click here Dork
because you can't beat me.

JP

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aj with your track record at picking winners I want your picks so I can bet against them and make a few bucks to pay for my elk hunting trip this fall.

ok enough with the pleasantries time to get to the nuts and bolts of this reply.

1)Get rid of the kid and zepplen it is time for a change.

2)Leave Mo alonge the kid went to court and the judge made his ruling, if he messes up again have at him and I for 1 will call for his head on the 50 yard line at halftime.

3)RECRUITING: I for 1 and I know I do not speak for all Husker fans or any college football fan for that matter but I never ever put my faith in a class based on stars, if I did I would buy a deck of tarot cards (sp) and hire a vodoo princess to read them.

If I want to see stars I will step outside at night and look up. Football stars are made on the field after many hours of work and dedication, many a player has gone on to be a star after being a walk on player.

As always,

You can eat a mile of my corn ridden shit and kiss my husker ass

9:10 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Corn ridden shit guy votes for no more crying kid and my picks suck.

JP is on fire.

Sorry fellas about no update...been busy for once. Update coming tonight.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beg you AJ. I plead you AJ. A pentire post on Pederson and some top "Pederson moments" of all-time. Puh-lease!

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JP,

I think I hear babies crying.. better give the candy back ;-)

Randy

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares